Suggestion on some good P35 or 790i chipset boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for any suggestion on motherboards that have P35 or 790i chipsettings. Furthermore, P45 chipsets are welcome for suggestions as well.

I'm going to guess he wants to use the system for gaming... motherboards that have a 790i chipset support three-way SLi interfaces. There aren't too many of these boards available at the moment but there are a lot of p35 as well as some p45 boards on NewEgg. Compare a few different ones and read up on the reviews for each. You'll probably find the info customers submit more helpful than asking on here.

The P5Q is an excellent motherboard. However, I'd go with the P5Q Pro, since it offers Crossfire capability for only about $20-30 more. But if you don't want\need Crossfire, go with the P5Q.

I have 3 rigs with the Gigabyte GAP35 DS3R board, and they are solid for overclocking.
They all run an E2160 @ 3.1GHz with no problems.

K. Jacko, this question goes to you and others who are familiar with over clocking the cpu's; my question is simply to whether overclocking burns out your board, and do motherboards have overclocking safety features. However, I thought overclocking CPU's was more suitable for cheaper boards that you wanted to get more out of?

The P5Q is an excellent motherboard. However, I'd go with the P5Q Pro, since it offers Crossfire capability for only about $20-30 more. But if you don't want\need Crossfire, go with the P5Q.

Which one is better Crossfire or SLI? I currently, have not found not many boards equipped with ATI Crossfire.

over clocking any hardware wares it out faster, but is good to get more out of anything if u can afford to replace it. as far as Crossfire or SLI, which is better is up to what u like, I personally like Nvida cards best but lots will say ATI is better, and they can be bought cheaper now.

Thing is with overclocking:
it may shorten the life of the components you overclock, but who keeps hardware for long times nowadays when technology moves on so quickly.
Equally it takes a dumb monkey to buy the latest hardware at sky high prices knowing that 3 months down the line its half the price you bought it at.
Therefore buying a decent mobo at a decent price, especially with a cheaper core2duo cpu, you can fire up its performance to that of a board and cpu costing much more.
My old Asus board ran a Barton XP2500 @ 3.2GHz for 2.5 years without issue at all. I only changed it because it was outdated.

Bottom line is if you have some knowledge of overclocking you obviously know what to look for and how to oc it. It aint as scary as it used to be. Most decent mobo's do have dual bios. The gigabyte boards will actually reboot themselves and run default settings if it doesn't like the oc settings you've just applied.
A lot of other boards simply won't boot and you have to reset the bios (pull out the battery or clear the jumper).
You won't really fry your components. You just have to know that basically if you oc your cpu it will need more voltage, meaning its temps will rise, also meaning you want a good solid psu and decent cooling.

bustinloose said:
Which one is better Crossfire or SLI? I currently, have not found not many boards equipped with ATI Crossfire.
Depends on what chipset you'd buy and what cards you'd want to use. Currently, the large majority of Intel chipsets support Crossfire, whereas for SLI you'd need a motherboard with an nForce chipset. Also, ATI's latest offerings are much better performers (besides having great prices) than NVIDIA's latest (barring the GTX 200 series), which would skew my opinion towards Crossfire. Two HD 4850s can be had for $400 or so, and will likely be faster than almost anything out there.
In the end, it's your call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back