Suggestions for new gaming graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhenry

Hey All,
I'm running:

XP SP2
Pentium D 3.00Ghz
2GB of Dual Channel RAM
Gigabyte mobo with Intel 865G Chipset.
500w power supply with 5 fans in case.

I'm using my old Elsa 5600 (128mb) video card now (AGP slot) and am having major issues with graphics while playing GTA San Andreas.

I've tried all updates and adjustments to get it to play, but the graphics are always distorted, unless run on lowest resolution. Tired of messing with it, as it seems the card just can't handle that game. (This is very frustrating, as this card is well above minimum specs for game.)

So any recommendations for a new graphics card? Only requirements are that it is AGP, has slots for 2 monitors, and MUST be ABLE to HANDLE graphics-intense games, like GTA. (Sorry for the caps, lol)

Many Thanks!

Thanks Guys,

Unfortunately, neither of those cards are available here (Taiwan).

Any Gigabyte cards to recommend? Otherwise, what are some specs I should look for when buying? like GeForce XX00 etc.

Thanks Again

Check out Gigabyte's
6600GT
6800GT
X800
X800XT

Just depends on your budget as to what you can afford.
Things to look at:
1). Memory bit interface (128 or 256 -- 256 is better but more $$)
2). Pixel Pipelines (8, 12, 16, etc. more=better but more $$)
3). Memory (128MB or 256MB also look at memory speed (DDR or GDDR3 etc.)

Personally I do not really like the "silent pipe" design because they tend to overheat. I would stick to a video card with a fan.

Thanks guys.

Given my above specs, you think all of these would be able to handle GTA on high graphics settings (1280x1024)?

I'm hoping for around US$200, but could go up to $250.

One more question: the 6800 Ultra, 7800GS, X850 Pro, are these made by several manufacturers, or only one? If they're made by several, which is most reliable? If made by one company, which one?

Thanks a bunch!

Well, they´re built by several companies. Radeon cards are built by ATI, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, Powercolor, Sapphire, etc. All these brands are good ones, but that COULD change depending on the model.
For example, you could find a very good ASUS Radeon X1900XTX, and a poor ASUS Radeon X1600PRO.

Tell us if you prefer ATI or Nvidia. If you don´t care, I can recommend particular cards.

At this point I 'prefer' Nvidia because I've used them in the past. I also know that the game GTA has an Nvidia screen at startup, but not sure if that matters.

If you could recommend any particular manufacturers, that'd be great. There are a lot to choose from over here, and I want to ensure that I get a card made by a reliable company with good, consistant reviews.

Thanks again!

Like I said, a 6600 GT, 6800, 6800 Ultra could do the job.

But you live in Taiwan, and I don´t know about taiwanese online retailers. If you find a Nvidia card, link to it and we´ll tell you if it is a good card or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back