Surface Pro 3 just as difficult to repair as previous models

By Shawn Knight
Jun 23, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 recently met an unfortunate fate: the iFixit teardown table. The brand new tablet out of Redmond is thinner and lighter than the slate it replaces but that doesn't mean it's any easier to repair.

Read more
  2. insect

insect TS Evangelist Posts: 315   +114

Something tells me you don't buy tablets to upgrade them... and yes... the "Apple Model" works:
    1) If you break it you buy a new one;
    2) If you want you can purchase an warranty/damage coverage for $X per year
    3) Profit!

Also... just buy a laptop. Cheaper, more powerful, repairable. If you must have a PC/Tablet with you wherever you go they make smart phones now. I hear they are super easy to move around and accept voice commands for typing and searching, plus come with internet access most places without tethering. /sarcasm
  3. ravneillal

ravneillal TS Rookie

This is pointless. Ifixit people are dumb I feel. They want us to go to the stone ages where the tablets and smart fones are inch thick devices held together with screws so they can give a 10/10 score. Everyone wants sleek and slim device and this is the only way to design and manufacture products. An average user will not tear down their devices to fix it.
    misor likes this.
  4. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Maniac Posts: 529   +143

do you blame the weather man for reporting the weather?
  5. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,531   +836

What ifixit wants is for people to find more efficient ways of making sleek and slim devices with screws or other innovative systems instead of using the old system of screws or copious adhesive.
  6. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

From what you just said you basically said if you broke a device you would instantly buy a new one.

Microsoft have basically just put down the hammer and said "If ifixit cant open it without breaking something then its gonna be impossible to repair and upgrade without breaking more things"
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,379

The further we move scaling down mobile devices, the more people should get used to them as being completely unrepairable. And anyone who is not happy about that should take the blue pill.
  8. I bet if there were hefty penalties imposed on corporations who produced unrepairable devices, the screws and clips would magically appear!

What gets me is that the lies of Microsoft, Apple and the rest will probably have some sort of 'environmental' or 'ethical' statement/policy written into their company blurb to make them appear like caring corporate citizens. Just makes it a complete nonsense when devices are made to be thrown away. It's all about short term profit as ever!
  9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,467   +1,760

Either that, or crush it up and snort it....:)
  10. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,379

Once it stops working, it is the most sensible option, at least for people who value their time more than their dimes.
  11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,349   +1,945

It's all very well ripping these things apart for our entertainment but this junk is not mean't to be pulled apart and upgraded. Once it's reached the end of it's useful life, trash it and start again.
  12. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TS Booster Posts: 156   +31

Great for the companies profit at the environments expense.
  13. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,349   +1,945

Well what's more important to these companies, profit or environment?
  14. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Are there any numbers on how many of these end up in landfills? I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything. I think a very high percentage do not end up in landfills, there are so many options for recycling electronic waste and in some cases you even get paid a small amount to do it.