Surface Pro price permanently cut by $100, Touch Covers cut by $40

Scorpus

Staff member

In August, Microsoft announced that they would be temporarily reducing the price of their Surface Pro tablet by $100, following reports of poor revenue generated by the Surface line. Now, as confirmed by ZDNet, Microsoft has permanently discounted the Surface Pro by $100, also cutting the price of accessories and Surface RT bundles.

The Surface Pro now starts at $799 for the 64 GB model, with all other SKUs including the 256 GB model receiving a $100 price cut. Touch Covers have also received a discount of $40, meaning they are now available for $79, or $89 for a Limited Edition Cover. The Type Cover price remains unchanged, at $129.

The price reductions for Touch Covers have affected all Surface RT bundles, with each bundle receiving a $50 discount. The 32 GB Touch Cover bundle now starts at $399, with the unbundled 32 GB Surface RT still available for $349.

Microsoft will reportedly be doing a "phased approach" to the pricing adjustments, meaning each Surface market worldwide will eventually, but not immediately, receive discounts similar to the United States. In an email sent to Neowin, Microsoft stated that people "who buy Surface love Surface, and we’re eager for more people to get their hands on this incredible device".

Price cuts across the Surface line aren't too surprising, considering Microsoft is working on new devices for release later this year. A new Surface RT is allegedly being tested with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 chipset inside and Windows 8.1 on-board, while Nvidia also claim they're working on a new Surface product. Microsoft is also expected to release a Surface Pro successor powered by an Intel 'Haswell' processor, to significantly improve the tablet's battery life.

Permalink to story.

I bought the nexus 7 a year ago for 200 bucks. I dropped the sucker a couple weeks ago and the glass broke. I bought the new Nexus 7 for 230 dollars without even batting an eyelash. The Surface tablet didn't even flash through my head for a nanosecond.

The surface's price point is wrong. Why would I pay more than 300 dollars for something I can get for 200 dollars? I mean, really all I need it for is Reddit on the toilet, to read some e-books, and general internetting. Microsoft can't convince me that I need to shell out more money when the Nexus works brilliantly for those needs.

I bought the nexus 7 a year ago for 200 bucks. I dropped the sucker a couple weeks ago and the glass broke. I bought the new Nexus 7 for 230 dollars without even batting an eyelash. The Surface tablet didn't even flash through my head for a nanosecond.

The surface's price point is wrong. Why would I pay more than 300 dollars for something I can get for 200 dollars? I mean, really all I need it for is Reddit on the toilet, to read some e-books, and general internetting. Microsoft can't convince me that I need to shell out more money when the Nexus works brilliantly for those needs.

It's all you need, but the advantage is that business users can use full windows applications on it. Sure the RT is a pointless endeavour, but the pro is of use. You can use it for general media consumption as per Android/Apple tablets, but also run full photoshop/AutoCAD/3DMax etc. etc.

The Touch cover cut isn't good enough. It's still $80 for a keyboard. I also still don't like that you can only bundle the touch cover in black. You'd have to pay at least $30 more for a colored keyboard.

I think the comments above show how MS has failed at marketing this. Tony thinks it's a laptop and that it's too expensive because there are laptops that are cheaper. Thing is though, it has a full HD touch screen, which doesn't come on a $300 laptop.
Guest thinks it's too expensive for a tablet, but doesn't realize it has an Intel Core i5 processor with 4GB of RAM. that's more power than a $500 Dell Desktop without a monitor.

It's expensive for a tablet because it has all the perks of a nice laptop.
It's expensive for a laptop because it has all the perks of a nice tablet.

The fact is, this thing is a steal for the hardware you get and anyone in the market for a small powerful laptop and/or convertible should check it out. The only reason it's not also an awesome tablet is the Windows app library can't hold a candle to Android and Apple.

The RT version is missing a purpose, but the Pro version is very cool. My work PC is a Dell Laptop with a Core 2 Duo in it... I'd love to have a Surface pro with a docking station for my desk.

I think the comments above show how MS has failed at marketing this. Tony thinks it's a laptop and that it's too expensive because there are laptops that are cheaper. Thing is though, it has a full HD touch screen, which doesn't come on a $300 laptop.
Guest thinks it's too expensive for a tablet, but doesn't realize it has an Intel Core i5 processor with 4GB of RAM. that's more power than a $500 Dell Desktop without a monitor.

The fact is, this thing is a steal for the hardware you get and anyone in the market for a small powerful laptop and/or convertible should check it out. The only reason it's not also an awesome tablet is the Windows app library can't hold a candle to Android and Apple.

The RT version is missing a purpose, but the Pro version is very cool. My work PC is a Dell Laptop with a Core 2 Duo in it... I'd love to have a Surface pro with a docking station for my desk.
^This guy, well said MilwaukeeMike
I own a surface pro, its a great device and considering what it is, its a powerful device. Have an i5 in a tablet that carries at least HD 4000 on the chip is significantly higher than most tablets in general have and the power of the CPU is nothing to shake a fist at (i5 3317u). A lot of people want this to be like 500 bucks and contain powerful hardware that costs more than they are sell it for it seems.

Ive liked this device better than any iPad or Asus Transformer that ive used and its got full Windows Pro which means I use it like a regular computer and a tablet at the same time making it a really cool hybrid device.

Just include the keyboard already stop being so cheap Microsoft. Everyone waiting for the right price for the Surface to be had. I waiting.. Not paying any ridiculous outrageous pricing. Drop the price down enough so others can buy more than one of them. Then you sell out faster.

0k if they can't make it $499 they have to get it down to at least $599 or its not gonna sell. Sure it maybe more powerful but people don't see it that was. They want a tablet and something costig over $600 doesn't fit in most people's budget. They should sell at a loss to saturate the windows 8 market it they are gonna lose in the long run. At the very least sell a cheaper surface pro model.

Someone who makes sense.

Back