Survey: Linux users snub Bing, favor Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

According to a recent poll, which involved hundreds of millions of searches, the Linux community overwhelming favors Google. The Chitika survey concluded that Linux users favor Google at a ratio that surpasses Mac and Windows users, with nearly 95% of Linux desktops relying on Google. Macs weren't far off at about 92% and neither group seemed to have love for Bing, which dipped well under the 5% mark. Yahoo dwarfed Bing in those audiences.

If you think about it, the numbers aren't surprising in the lightest - Lnux users aren't using a Microsoft-based a search engine. It is interesting to see that Mac users are following the same trends, however - also snubbing Bing overwhelmingly in favor of Google, and in a small way Yahoo. With both Linux and Mac markets growing - Macs moreso - getting viewership from both camps will be more important to Microsoft. Bing, however, is just not having an impact on them.

Not that Bing needs a Linux user audience to be successful. As an unfortunate minority, Linux users (which includes myself) are simply too few and far between to influence these surveys and concern Microsoft - who has enjoyed relative success with their new search engine.

If Redmond is to gain Linux viewership down the road, it will probably be through functional (and free) APIs. Google has a plethora of functionality already available, such as the implement ion of AJAX Search API - which is probably a lot more useful to a developer than anything else.

Permalink to story.

after trying Bing objectivly for a few days now, i think its pretty good. It's a great improvment over the old live search . Google results are getting worse and worse, something new is needed. So far Bing is comming up with good and relevant results...sometimes even alot better then google in my humble opinion.

where does Yahoo's predictive engine fit in? i get the best results from it.....or at least i think i do

I've been toying with Bing since it came out and now find myself split between it and Google by about 50%. I think MS did a real nice job with that search engine.

Even if Bing cured cancer linux and mac users will never use it just becuase its made by Microsoft. Linux and mac users have issues that some meds might help. I love Bing...much better than google.

"Linux and mac users have issues that some meds might help." LOL....uh huh. ;-)

I've used Bing and it sucks. There is no comparison to Google. Bing is good if you are shopping that's it and NO I'm not a Linux user.

its all up to the user.be it Bing or google or yahoo.its all a search engine to help you out.so your all got to cool it.

I've used Bing a /little/, but have no intention of switching. Google does the job more than well enough that there's no niche for Bing to really fill.

If Bing was programed to take insult's I would probably try it a bit more, but when you type in any thing that is degrading to Microsoft well it just spits out positives. NOT what I want in a search engine. I do not need my results cleaned for me I am normally looking for information that is true not hype. I must say the last time I tried Bing it did spit out some negative comments but Google did a much better job of it. When Bing grows up a bit more and accepts the truth of things I may use it, but if you ask me it's a re badged Google search with some filtering added. Just my 2 bob's worth.

As a windows user, I prefer google, why, when I tried a few search's I did bing first, and several time got frustrated at the results, and switched to google, and it pulled up what I wanted.

Bing faces the extremely tough challenge of simply breaking the Google habit. Our SVP took on a week-long experiment to see if he could break his personal Google habit and learned some pretty interesting things about Bing and how it compares. We'd love to get your feedback on your experiences with Bing (or any other search engine) and see if you plan on making the switch!

Even if Bing cured cancer linux and mac users will never use it just becuase its made by Microsoft. Linux and mac users have issues that some meds might help. I love Bing...much better than google.

Many Mac users use Microsoft Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back