SuSE 9.3 Pro questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitch

I am a new linux user and just installed SuSE 9.3 Pro without a problem. Then when I got into the desktop and a few problems arose.
I don't really understand the system of where files are stored, I don't know if there is a windows like device manager anywhere, and I really need help networking this linux machine to the other 3 XP machines in my house.I dont understand what SLB services, SMB shares, and zerocong services are and would appreciate anything you know becasue I know nothing. Also one last thing is that my scrolling and some window management lags a lot and goes very slowly, I'm not quite sure if this is caused by the processor, HDD, or RAM.

I' curretly running
celeron 1.7 gHz
40GB HDD
640 MB RAM
GF MX420 PCI

Does anyone know the answers to these questions or know of a book or online guide I could go to to lesarn more about my distrobution SuSE 9.3 pro. Thanks

You should probably be using YaST to setup most things on your desktop. I havent used SuSE in a while but you should be able to find it off the menu in KDE or Gnome depending on what your running. Also just typing yast at the command line should bring it up (maybe someone can correct me, I dont remember..is it Yast2 now?). In there you can setup Samba to share files with your Windowx boxes, add software, and perform a huge amount of operations. Its really one of the strengths of Suse.

As far as windows being slow, look for the KDE Control Center and tune down the graphics a bit (just as you would in windows if the thing was sluggish).

Kitch said:
I' curretly running
celeron 1.7 gHz
40GB HDD
640 MB RAM
GF MX420 PCI
For one, you ought to have 256 or 512mb of ram if you have any expectations on smooth and reasonable performance.

I suggest you search for "Linux for Dummies" (no implications intended) and it will
give you some basic background on the system. There's so much you need,
it would only confuse you to make further comments until you have done some reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back