SuSE or Other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty90

Since SuSE 9.3 Pro is available for free download is that the version I should get or does anyone recommend something like Lorma or aLinux. I currently have 9.1 Pesonal (SuSE). I'd like some help.

You can get SuSE 10 for free too. The "eval" version is full-featured and you can use it as long as you want.

I downloaded the 9.3 PRO iso images for the 5 CDs but when I inserted the 1st CD it wouldn't boot. I have 9.1 Personal now, could that be the problem because all that happens is 9.1 boots normally and I don't get an Install option on the splash screen. I downloaded the images off Novells website so they have to be crrect and it was over a secure T1 connection. PLEASE HELP because I want to put a simple OS on for my mom since the WINBLOWS XP that I have is 32-bit and the computer I built for her is 64-bit and it just won't install.

Verify the images against the checksums on the Novell site. Big files getting corrupt during FTP transfers is common. Also, are you sure you burned the iso files correctly?

Do you have the BIOS set to boot from CDROM? Is the boot order correct? Depending on the BIOS you can hit esc or other keys to choose the boot device...

Bios Is Correct

Yes its set on CD first HD second then CD 3rd since there's nothing else besides those two. It wasn't downloaded FTP but HTTP. I'll ESC and see if that does anything and I'll get abck tonight.

By the way I have an ABIT NFS-8 Motherboard (NFS or NFV) and a AMD Sempron 64 2800+. Could there be a hardware problem if its not the cds?

I burned the iso's wrong. Its now installed but I can't get passed the login screen. I selected Gnome, and it never asked me to set up an administrator account wich I thought was odd. Help!!!!!!!

It asked you to specify the root password. Try with username "root" and blank password in case you skipped over that part too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back