SuSE Won't Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

coderitr

I downloaded an DVD ISO for openSuSE 10.2 and burned the DVD. It will boot but it won't install. It says that it can't find the installation CD.

I've tried the SuSE 10.0 DVD that I successfully installed on my old computer last year. (That old computer now belongs to my girlfriend.) The same thing happens on with that DVD.

I also switched DVD drives with girlfriend's computer thinking I could live with the color difference of the faceplate with the rest of my computer Her DVD drive was part of the "old" computer that SuSE 10 was installed on last year. When the same thing happened again, I switched the drives back because I couldn't live with the color difference.

I got a tip in another chat room that some installer/shell scripts fail if the optical drive is not on the primary/master IDE but it is.

My computer specs:

Pentium D 3.4 GHz
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Motherboard
1 GB RAM (2 x 512 MB Dual Channel)
Maxtor 200GB SATA II hard drive
Seagate 320GB SATA II hard drive
16x Memorex DL DVD+-RW
Diamond Multimedia ATI Radeon X1600 Pro PCI-E Video (512 MB)
Windows XP Home Edition

At which point does it say it can't find the disc?

Try starting the installation in textmode (press F3 in the menu and choose text), then when the installation starts, check the other terminals for more information by pressing alt + F1 to F5. Maybe they reveal more about the error.

I presume the DVD image and the disc were verified correctly?

I've installed openSuSE 10.2 with my DVD-drive as an external USB drive and as an ATA secondary master, so I don't think that affects it.

It says it can find the dvd after I select installation from the menu. I tried starting in text mode and it still failed. The exact wording is: "Cannot find the openSUSE Installation CD. Activating manual setup program." When I select "Verify Installation CD-ROM/DVD" from the menu, it prompts me to insert it and then says "No CD-ROM or DVD found."

The ISO file I downloaded passed the MD5 checksum validation.

Oh, I forgot to mention, there is an internal card reader installed. It's connected to one of the USB headers on the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back