Swapping HDs with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, All

Numerous times I have changed hard drives from one pc to another,
(with OS installed ) with 98 no problems, with XP.......? !
I have 3 PCs all less than one year old (not out of date)
I do alot of part swapping, re-activating is a pain, but the problem is getting
that far.

Swapping HDs with XP, the "new" pc cannot see the OS on the "old" HD, I
think the problem may be anti pie rate software built into XP. Is there a way
around this ? THX

PS, 3 leagal XP OS :blackeye:

"cannot see" means what?

You can't take a Windows installation from one computer and run it on another with a different hardware without driver issues.

If the chipset on the new motherboard is the same as the old, it will work fine provided you keep the position of the drive the same.

If either the chipset is different or the position of the drive has changed, the machine will not be able to boot.

Both situations can be remedied with a repair install.

"cannot see" meens "no OS found" (on bootup)

I have swapped HDs many times on many differant systems with win 98 never a problem.
With XP my PCs have no problem with seeing the HD, all the bios info is correct.
I get the splash Xp screen on the boot then it goes to "no OS found" or "select
startup, ( safe mode ect ) safe mode won't work either. I is like it kicks it back to the startup .
I have put the Xp disk in and clicked repair install and if I remember correctly
(I'm asking the question a month after) The repair just goes into a dos type command prompt, there I tried writing new boot sectors ect with no luck

You were on the right track, just not quite there. Have a look at this thread and it should tell you how to repair XP.

You were just 1 step too quick, you needed to bypass the recovery console part of the setup.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Thanks

Thanks very much,
maybe next time I won't have to re-format
all 3 PCs. I should just stop changing things...

But I have heard: "Change is good,... Donkey"

Call me Tinkerbell... THX Mr, M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back