TechSpot

Sweden pirate fined $652,000 for sharing one movie torrent

1. An Ex-Moderator of a now defunct BitTorrent site swebits.org has been awarded $652,000 (4.3m Swedish Krona) in damages by the Västmanlands District Court for uploading a pre-release copy of a Swedish language movie Beck – Buried Alive, TorrentFreak reports. This...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,166   +241

Wish I was awarded money :'( At-least in Sweden they award you money for pirating!
    psycros likes this.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,978   +1,487

Is the statement worded correctly?
    TheDreams likes this.
  4. davislane1

davislane1 TS Guru Posts: 1,313   +480

@cliffordcooley I had to do a double take on that myself. According to the original article on Torrent Freak, the ex-mod has to pony up to a $652,000 damages award.

"A moderator and uploader of one of Sweden’s oldest but now defunct private torrent sites has been hit with a huge damages award. For uploading a single pre-release movie the 28-year-old is now required to pay $652,000. . ."
    - Torrent Freak
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  5. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 435   +76

it sais awarded $652,000 in in damages
    damages is not a good reward.
  6. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,166   +241

They must have fined him that much for 1. he has enough income in a year to pay it in the next few years or 2. because they know he cant pay it so they wont ask for payments due to him not earning enough to pony up to pay it.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,034   +738

Huh?
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Now if only they'll do this to all pirates the internet 'could' be a better place.
  9. hammer2085

hammer2085 TS Rookie Posts: 17

They should have also sold his kidney & other body parts. Wait maybe that's what he will do..
  10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,684   +882

Why, so you can pay Amazon 5 bucks to watch a movie you can rent for a dollar at Redbox? Would that be because it's convenient, or because it's the, "right thing to do"?

(I understand that I'm speaking in the "colonies northeast's vernacular", A trip to Redbox in the US in a prohibitively long trip for you, and you'd doubtless rack up massive late charges).

I see your point though, movie stars, RIAA Lawyers, and movie moguls can never have too much money, in the same sense they feel that the average person can never have too little.
  11. Skidmarksdeluxe

I said that tongue in cheek because I admitted to pirating a while back.

12. captaincranky

Unlike our NSA, I don't keep that data on file. Well, maybe for a few "Special people".....;)
  13. olibenu

olibenu TS Rookie Posts: 24

What does 'sharing one movie torrent' mean?

I'd read it as someone fined for sharing a .torrent file
  14. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,978   +1,487

It means they are the origination of the movie, and the share method is in the form of a torrent.
  15. The criminals just don't get it. Punishment is not an exchange of value, it's punishment for a crime. The punishment is suppose to be a painful experience and deterrent to future lapse of good judgment.
    Japan has the right approach with mandatory minimum prison sentences for pirates and hackers in addition to high fines. Soon the rest of the world will catch up on digital crime and there will be uniform minimum prison sentences for all digital perps.
  16. captaincranky

I can see mandatory prison sentences for hacking. But, "pirating", not on your life. When you have institutions such as the RIAA, and MPAA relitigating copyright law with every case, there's no sensible reason to burden a country's law enforcement assets having them act as a, free of charge, dedicated mercenary army, or storm trooopers.

If something like the Gestapo ever comes back into power , you should apply for a job with them.. Maybe they'll let you wear the executioner's mask, at least in late night naughty barracks games...;) [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  17. You don't get it, those movies or media are not worth the money paid to see them at all. Those media owners should be the ones punished for pushing such garbage against the people.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.