TechSpot

Symantec offered hacker $50,000 for stolen source code

By Leeky
Feb 7, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Anonymous released email exchanges between a member and Symantec yesterday, revealing that the security firm offered them $50,000 in exchange for destroying the source code of pcAnywhere and Norton Antivirus…

Read the whole story

2. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 740   +249

If the source code is so old that is poses no real threat, why are they telling customers not to use pcAnywhere until a patch has been released?

3. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 265

I wouldn't be surprised if Symantec weren't theoretically willing to make such an offer (that's the salary of the guy who's going to have to write the new source code), but I find it extremely hard to believe that a tech security company would ever trust all copies of something to be destroyed in such a manner.

4. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

Anon keeps falling for this stuff. Maybe they wouldn't fall into so many holes if they weren't so cocky, or if they were older than 15..

5. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,326   +138

If Anonymous made sense... they wouldnt do **** like this. This just goes to show that Anonymous... is just anonymous. Just a bunch of people claiming to be this "Anonymous." If they are against SOPA, and all that jazz, why use Pirate Bay or the like to publish this source code? This just gives me a stronger feeling to support SOPA and have the Pirate Bay shut down, because god knows that people who write viruses need Norton's source code, no matter how old it is, it's still going to be useful to the countless number of people who write viruses/trojans/malware, because you should know... that about 65 percent (just a guess) of the people that have that software installed, have no freaking clue whats going on.

6. AmpFeare

AmpFeare TS Rookie Posts: 26

put your source code on a flash drive and unplug it, jesus. MY SOURCE CODE WAS HACKED. put it on a flash drive and unplug it on put it on your desk and this wont happen. so hard to do people.

7. AmpFeare

AmpFeare TS Rookie Posts: 26

unplug it on should say unplug it and********

8. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,107   +97

I couldn't have said it better myself :D

9. SCJake

SCJake TS Rookie Posts: 80

@trillionsin

Thats the point. The ORIGINAL purpose of Anonymous is that they dont exist. By having a fake hacker group known as Anonymous, people will continue to pursue this group. team poison, jester, ccc, lulzsec (or whats left) will just go in as anonymous and do whatever they want. Anonymous is just a farce and the people pretending to be behind it are usually no real threat.

i cite myself that this was the original purpose

10. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,518   +506

I'm pretty sure that it's worth mooore than $50k

11. This is like some kinda plot from a Hollywood film. Haha.

12. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

someone13 at 2012-02-07 15:26 CET:
    what can we do after we have the source code?

I lol'd

13. Phraun

Phraun TS Rookie Posts: 35

If you think that shutting down tPB would provide any noticeable barrier to something like this, you're living in a dream world. Someone that possesses enough know-how to abscond with AV source code sure as hell knows how to move files across the web without a damn torrent tracker. The same is true of anyone that could actually use that code in any meaningful way. You are essentially advocating wasting a bunch of government funding to accomplish nothing whatsoever. (Granted, that's par for the course with the feds these days.)

14. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Guru Posts: 446   +17

And yet can still do more with their fingers on a keyboard than you will accomplish in your entire life - makes you mighty depressed to think how waste our lives are…