TechSpot

Synaptics rethinks laptop touchpad, keyboard with pressure sensing

By Jos
Aug 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Synaptics, a company well known for developing the touchpads and clickpads found on laptops from a number of manufactures, has officially announced a couple of new touch-focused products aimed at the next generation of Windows 8 devices: the ForcePad and…

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,561   +862

Never mind.

Wont pressure sensitive keyboards be amazing for gaming?

(I really should finish reading before I post.)

3. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 814   +93

Synaptics is a cool company. They have had "4:20 PM" for years as the clock time in their configuration utility under 'device settings'. Must be where they get these innovative ideas.

4. Capaill

Capaill TS Addict Posts: 292   +93

Can we not just forget these advancements and go straight to laser projection keyboards like the one the Israelis invented a few years back? Granted, they might not be designed for gamers, but they've got the backlight problem sorted!

Stick a laser projector on the bottom of a tablet, prop up the screen and have it project the keyboard onto the surface in front of it. Bye-bye laptops!

Or maybe I'm thinking too far ahead.

5. ikesmasher

just a little. Laser projections have a hard time telling if im pressing t, g, or b. and that have that problem ALL THE TIME.

6. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 752   +273

Pressure would be AWESOME for gaming. No longer would I have to inch forward by lightly tapping a key! :)

7. I think pressure sensing would be amazing!! I feel it provides a way of recording sudden emotional responses we may have to anything we encounter using a computer.....I guess this is where tablets may have their setbacks. Unless you can make those indestructable too haha.

8. ikesmasher

Dat bump tho
    but pressure sensitivity for keyboards would be fantastic. Wonder what happened to this.