System Alert Pop Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeyestate

I have encountered this thing that won't go away. I had a tech support guy from where I work look at my computer, and he used shmitfraudfix in safe mode to try and get rid of it, and it's no longer blinking in the tray, but still shows up in add/remove programs screen. Is it something I need to worry about and try to remove further. I am not very computer savy, but can get by. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Download the Autoruns programme from HERE. When the programme runs, click options and make sure the "Hide Microsoft Entries" is ticked. Click the file menu and select refresh. Click the save icon and save the Autoruns log to wherever you want.

Then, go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above. also, attach the Autoruns log here.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of hawkeyestate only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Ok I think I have everything You need. Hopefully attatchments work.

Here is HJT Log. I tried attaching it but wouldn't work.

--
End of file - 5035 bytes

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Download the Pocket Killbox programme from HERE. Extract it but don`t run it yet.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O16 - DPF: {01010200-5E80-11D8-9E86-0007E96C65AE} (SupportSoft Installer) - https://ra.qwest.com/sdccommon/download/tgctlins.cab

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: apathies - {aed6f6a3-183c-488d-9f90-23db99f56e7f} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\geplxss.dll (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Run the killbox.exe file. When it loads type the full path to the file you would like to delete in the field and check the delete file on reboot button. press the Delete File button (looks like a red circle with a white X). It will prompt you to reboot, select no until you have finished inputting the files you want to delete, only then allow it to reboot and hopefully your files will now be deleted. If your computer doesn`t automatically restart, restart it manually.

This is the filepath your need to enter into killbox.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\geplxss.dll

Once your system has rebooted, rehide your protected OS files.

If the system alert popup programme is still in your add remove programmes list, do the following.

Run the Ccleaner programme as per step 9 of the instructions in this thread HERE. With the Ccleaner programme still open, click the tools button, highlight the system alert popup entry and click the delete entry button, click ok and close Ccleaner.

Post a fresh HJT log as an attachment and let me know how your system is running.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of hawkeyestate only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I deleted the HTJ items you told me too, but I couldn't find the killbox program in safe mode.

What did I do wrong?

You did enter safe mode under your user name and not the admin account didn`t you?

Ok I ran Killbox in safe mode and typed the path correctly, even copied and pasted, and it said the file did not exist. I ran the Ccleaner also and the System alert pop up is still in add/remove programs.

If the system alert popup programme is still in your add remove programmes list, do the following.

Run the Ccleaner programme as per step 9 of the instructions in this thread HERE. With the Ccleaner programme still open, click the tools button, highlight the system alert popup entry and click the delete entry button, click ok and close Ccleaner.

Don`t worry that Killbox couldn`t find the file. Providing the actual popups have gone, you`re good to go.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Ok That did the trick. Thank you. I have one last question. What, if any, of the programs I downloaded during this proccess, including preliminary, do I need to keep on my computer. My computer is pretty old with limited memory, and all these programs on there are almost brining it to a stand still.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back