TechSpot

System clean?

By rogue12
Jul 16, 2007
  1. Hi, this is log of hijack this of my system i haven't a clue how to check if anything bad is in it, or if there any useless entries they can be removed, i was wondering if somebody could have a look in it and check for me and tell me?

Thanks for any assistance.

Attached Files:

2. andehpandeh

andehpandeh TS Rookie Posts: 16

Looks clean of viruses to me, but there's a couple of entries that you don't really need or are open to attack from hackers, like Java.

There's
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe" (though if you use Java a lot, keep this)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe" (but if you use Adobe Reader a lot, keep this)

The last two will just help your computer start up quicker. :)

I reckon an expert will come in and help you more... :)

Hope this helps.

3. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

Run HJT with no other programs open (except your web browser) and do a system scan. Place a check in the box next to the following entry (if there):

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

Press the Fix Checked button. Once it's done fixing, close HJT.

Search your system for the filename alcmtr.exe and delete all instances found.

I notice no anti-spyware or firewall programs on your system. Anti-spyware programs will help rid your computer of spyware; a firewall will keep hackers from getting in.

I recommend running the following programs, in addition to your current anti-virus program:

Either ZoneAlarm or Sunbelt firewall (but only one at a time, as two will conflict)

Spybot - Search & Destroy

Ad-aware SE Personal

AVG Antispyware

SpywareBlaster

CCleaner

If you have further virus/spyware questions/problems, please post in this thread.

Regards :)

This thread is for the use of rogue12 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our Security and the Web forum.

4. rogue12

rogue12 TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 47

very odd there no sign of anti-spyware programs installed, i have Spybot, Ad-aware 2007, SpywareBlaster and CCleaner all installed and fully updated.

5. kitty500cat

OK, that's fine if you have those anti-spyware programs installed, but I do recommend installing either ZoneAlarm or Sunbelt firewall, as well as AVG Anti-Spyware.

I probably didn't see those anti-spyware programs in your log because they didn't have any running processes or services.

6. rogue12

rogue12 TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 47

For alcmtr.exe I searched it found 4 results so when you say delete all intances found you mean to delete whatever the search found?

Thanks.

7. kitty500cat

You can delete everything found in the search. The alcmtr.exe file is actually a spyware file by Realtek. It is nonessential to the workings of your system.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.