System Error - Event Category (102) - Event ID 1003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robust²

Hiya,

2 Days ago, my computer started doing random reboots; the first few times were all within a few minutes, and afterwards it worked perfectly for the rest of the evening. But exactly the same thing happened the next day, so I swapped my Ati Radeon 9800 Pro with an Asus A9250 because the Radeon had caused lots of problems before. Everything worked perfect, until this morning when again, it rebooted 2 times shortly after each other. It doesn't give any error, just a black screen for a few seconds and then it reboots. I looked it up in the event viewer and found it was the error in the title, and here are the details for the last one: (Sorry 'bout the Dutch...)

Code:
Type gebeurtenis:	Fout
Bron van gebeurtenis:	System Error
Categorie van gebeurtenis:	(102)
Gebeurtenis-ID:	1003
Datum:		12/01/2008
Tijd:		11:35:46
Gebruiker:		n.v.t.
Computer:	SPEELKAMER-PC
Beschrijving:
Foutcode; 000000f4, parameter1: 00000003, parameter2: 8a20b498, parameter3: 8a20b60c, parameter4: 80604418.

Zie Help en ondersteuning op  voor meer informatie.
Gegevens:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45   System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72   rror  Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65   ror code
0018: 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 66    000000f
0020: 34 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d   4  Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 30 30   eters 00
0030: 30 30 30 30 30 33 2c 20   000003, 
0038: 38 61 32 30 62 34 39 38   8a20b498
0040: 2c 20 38 61 32 30 62 36   , 8a20b6
0048: 30 63 2c 20 38 30 36 30   0c, 8060
0050: 34 34 31 38               4418

I searched on the net about the error, and found it could be some malfunctioning hardware, but I have no clue what could be causing it, since it has been running perfectly for the last few months. What I did notice, is that I've only had the reboots, when Windows Live Messenger is running, but even then it's quite random, sometimes it runs for only 2 minutes, other times it runs for over half an hour. I've also uploaded some Minidumps, hope they can help!
Thx,

Bruno

Attachments

• Mini011008-03.zip
    89.2 KB · Views: 14
From all DMP files:

Unable to load image SYMEVENT.SYS, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMEVENT.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMEVENT.SYS
Probably caused by : csrss.exe

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMEVENT.SYS
Probably caused by : hardware_disk

Probably caused by : hardware_disk

Do you have Norton AntiVirus installed ?

csrss.exe: Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem

Part of Messenger service - Not MSN Messenger

You can disable "csrss" by doing the following

Click Start -> Setings -> Control Panel -> Admin. Tools -> Services

Scroll down and highlight "Messenger" (a single click).

Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.

Click the STOP button.

Select Disable or Manual under the "Startup Type" menu selection

Click OK.

No need to reboot

If after doing this any program fails to respond pls revert Messenger service back to Automatic.

Recommendation - Stop Messenger service, Remove Norton AntiVirus
Download AVG Free and use that instead.

Then you only have two possibilities

Norton is causing it - likely cause - I'd un-install it

Your Hard Disk is malfunctioning
On this issue
Go to My Computer
Right Click on C drive
Select Properties
Select Tools
Select Check Now
Tick the top box
Select Start
Select Yes
OK
Restart your computer and allow CheckDisk to repair any faults
Windows will load up, once Checkdisk finishes ~ 5 to 10 Mins

Test your computer for a few hours (or when ever you feel it is OK again)

Reply back with your results (most don't do this - So do this :) )
Oh and welcome to TechSpot :)

First use Add and Remove to get rid of all known installed components of Symantec, and Norton.
Reboot.
Then use a simple registry editor such as RegClean to remove all remnants of Norton and Symantec in the registry.
Reboot.
Then use Add or Remove to remove Messenger.
Reboot.
Then run something like RegClean or PC-Decrapifier to clean your system.
If you have ANY other antivirus or antispyware installed, particularly if McAffee or Trend Micro, remove them as well.
Reboot.
Defragment your hard drive.
Reboot.
Now download and run the drive fitness test from the manufacturer of your hard drive, unless it is a Toshiba drive, which doesn't publish such a test.
Reboot.
See how it runs.
Then install AVG antivirus, and AVG antispyware, reboot, and test again.
Now IF YOU REALLY need it, reinstall Messenger
Your hard drive may be corrupted, but I don't see evidence the drive is bad.

The alternative is to save your data in SAFE MODE, then Kill Disk your drive, and reinstall everything.

Ok I'll try that tomorrow :)
I already did a short test with SeaTools, and it passed, but I'll try the long test tomorrow. PC has been running for about 7 hours now, without any problems...

Event 1003, Source: System Error, Desc.: Error code 0x000000f4
NOTE corrected error code.

"If after doing this any program fails to respond pls revert Messenger service back to Automatic.
Recommendation - Stop Messenger service",

Please be advised that 'Windows Live Messenger' is NOT the Windows XP Service named 'Messenger'. The former is an instant messaging program, the latter is for the Administrator of a computer network to monitor and contact the other systems on the network. Therefore, stopping the Messenger Service, while a good idea, had nothing to do with running WLM.

For resolution of this Event, please see this Microsoft Support site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330100

Your hard drive is most likely not bad, if it passed the short Sea Tools test.
You may have some difficulty tracking it down, but I would suspect your video graphics ( as you already have), and run a full MemTest86 for four hours or seven passes.
Some ideas you have probably already tried:
Watch for errors when your video graphics has been taxed long enough for it to get hot.
Check for hair and dirt in your heat sink or CPU fan.
Suspect your power supply. If a no name brand, its output could be dipping under load. A lot of erratic behavior is caused by cheap power supplies.
Value Ram or other low priced memory may not offer the timings needed.

The problem has to be heat, or a defect in power supply, video graphics, memory, an unreliable CPU fan, or other cooling issue. We have seen a lot of intermittent problems from using low cost memory, so if you memory is questionable, try borrowing some and try them one module at a time. MemTest86 will not test for this problem.

Bsod

hey. i am also getting the BSOD with an ecent ID of 1003. this is happening on a 1 year old AlienWare laptop.

i have already:
-replaced hard drive
-tested ram (seems fine)
-reinstalled OS 3 times.

not sure what else to do.

if you anyone could help. would be great. here is 3 minidumps.

Wait, what is the problem now: Norton or some of my hardware? I haven't deinstalled Norton yet, was planning on doing that tomorrow
I doubt it has something to do with cooling, because the side of the case is removed for max airflow, and I cleaned the case with my vacuum cleaner yesterday.
My Ram is TwinMOS (about a year old) and some rather low value ram (over 3 years old), I'll try to stress it later this evening.
My PSU is a 'Delta Electronics Inc.' but I've not really had problems with it before. The gfx card has already been replaced with an almost brand new unit (only been used for a few days, as backup card) so that can't be the problem either. Active SMART also gives a Good status to my HD, with a temp of 41°

Edit: And I don't understand anything of that windows link posted by Bobbye :s

I don't work from the mini dump files. In order to use the information on the site I left, you have to determine your type of hard drive. Go to the manufacturer's site and see what was installed.

Two people are trying to help you- it appears we are working a cross-purposes. I see no reason to suspect Norton. It is possible that the low-end RAM is giving you a problem.

However rather than confuse you more, I will just state that I left a fix for the Event your presented. If someone else wants to handle it another way, that is your decision. I'm off.

Bobbye said:
I don't work from the mini dump files. In order to use the information on the site I left, you have to determine your type of hard drive. Go to the manufacturer's site and see what was installed.

Two people are trying to help you- it appears we are working a cross-purposes. I see no reason to suspect Norton. It is possible that the low-end RAM is giving you a problem.

However rather than confuse you more, I will just state that I left a fix for the Event your presented. If someone else wants to handle it another way, that is your decision. I'm off.
Oh ok, thank you for that :)
My HD(A Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 160GB) is connected with an IDE cable, so you suggest I should try to replace it?

Ouch. I ran the memtest yesterday evening/night and this was the result:
http://i17.tinypic.com/7y2q5g0.jpg
So I guess I can say some of my Ram is broken? Is it possible to say wich stick of ram is causing the problems?
It looks to me that the 48.8 MB errors are deffinatly somthing serious, but what about the other 2?

I've just had another three errors, one 0x000000F4 and one 0x0000007a, which both lead to the same Microsoft article posted by Bobbye. It always seems to happen a few times within a short periode of time. I switched off WLM at this reboot now, and everything is working fine again....
I even took out the suspected faulty ram (the old Siemens sticks), I tested the 2 new ones for 5 passes and it came up with no errors, but I'm planning on testing them longer this night. Tomorrow I'm also going to buy a new IDE cable for the hard drive, just in case.
If those steps fail, I have absolutely no clue what else to do...

<Sorry for the triple post>
I tried to replace my old IDE cable with a brand new one, but the pc wouldn't even boot then, so I had to use the old one again, how can that be??
And I'm almost completely sure it has something to do with Windows Live Messenger, I keep it closed now most of the time, but last night I had to use it, and it gave me a BSOD about a minute after I started it, after working flawlessly for over a few hours.

Put the new IDE cable back in, and pull out the power cord from back of computer (the main power cord)
Push the On button (frfont of computer) in for 30 Secs (dispersing all voltage)

Then put the main power cable back in, and then turn on again

Reply back
Note: you can select edit for replying to your own post, this one can have a reply, by you now.

Hi KingdomHeart, and welcome to TechSpot

You should create another new thread just for. This will avoid confusion if anyone replies, "Try This..." (who should try that ?)

This thread is for Robust² (wish I thought of using other symbols !)

I looked at DMP file for you anyway, here's the info gathered
Probably caused by : ati2mtag.sys ( ati2mtag+9610 )
Being ATI Graphics Card. (Try updating the drivers)
Then create a new thread with the fault (if it continues), and what you have done.

Wow thanks Kimsland, that worked and pc booted perfectly :)
I also installed the 8.1 version of WLM, and removed the 8.5, for now it's working nicely...

*sigh* I believed it was...
After the new IDE cable, a system restore and the 8.1 WLM it worked nicely for 5 days, but now it's happening even more then before!
But the good thing is I know for 100% sure WLM is the cause: after I sign on, it only takes about a minute anymore before I get the BSOD. It can run perfectly if nobody's signed on. And Norton is giving me errors now too, but I'm trying a hotfix for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back