TechSpot

System Freezes When Installing Drivers For AGP

By Computergeek564
Feb 18, 2007
  1. Hi :wave:

Just a second ago i was looking at a thread >>> http://www.systemrequirementslab.co...tion_option_id=2139&submit2.x=103&submit2.y=0 and i checked the system specs for a game and it said beside the information for the AGP card, that i had to update my drivers, so i did that, ATI wizard said that i had to download Net Framework, all ok i did that, then it told me that i couldnt install it, so i restarted and booted up, downloaded it and installed it. All went fine untill i downloaded the AGP drivers again and tried to install them, but when it gets to the install screen, my system just freezes

Any help would be much appreciated

2. HeAdCrAb KILLA

HeAdCrAb KILLA TS Rookie Posts: 24

So, you downloaded and installed new ATi Catalyst display drivers and then it told you to install the Net Framework?

3. Computergeek564

Computergeek564 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 59

no before it got to the installation stage for the drivers, up pops a windows saying please install net framework

4. HeAdCrAb KILLA

5. Computergeek564

Yep i downloaded that, but it said that i couldnt install it, rebooted the comp, installed perfectly, and then i went on to download the AGP drivers, done that, went on to install them and then the installation screen pops up, 1,2,3,4 seconds in system freezes, ALT F4, CTRL ALT DEL, and nothing

6. HeAdCrAb KILLA

Did the package say why it couldn't install? Something may need to be uninstalled or updated before you can install the framework...

7. Computergeek564

Nah the framework installed perfectly, the drivers for the agp didnt

8. HeAdCrAb KILLA

Ah, what card are you using. I am not familiar with the ATi setup (nVIDIA user) so I can't really relate to what's going on. Is the card an AGP? You may need to download new mobo drivers or maybe the drivers aren't compatible with your card.

9. Computergeek564

im using the ATI Radeon 9600 series

i think it was because i didnt have the framework installed first, and thats why i doesnt work

10. Computergeek564

do you think a system restore will help?

11. HeAdCrAb KILLA

No, use Driver Cleaner 1.5 to sort out ANY problems with display drivers. This is a great little program and I've had to use it a bunch of times.

12. Computergeek564

Thanks for that headcrab, remind me to get you something for christmas

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.