system frozen on screensaver, lost desktop items

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents were recently visiting at my house. during the visit they decided to install an external hard drive and upgrade me from Windows ME to XP.
For the first time a few days ago I went to delete temporary internet files and most recently viewed websites from the Tools menu. As soon as I deleted the temporary internet files, my screen closed and the screen saver appeared with No desktop items. I can not even get into the start menu. Right clicking does nothing. It just seems to be frozen on the screen saver.

I tried to re-insall XP this morning, but it does not seem to be loading.

I was able to hit cntl alt delete and get to the task list but cannot do anything else. I cannot figure out how to restore the computer back the way it was.

HELP.
CW

antivirus software

My parents intalled trend micro on the computer. Before their re-installation I had Norton antivirus and adaware and spybot search and destroy. I don't think they re-installed adaware or spybot. I was planning on doing this but then it seems to have crashed. Thanks.

If norton is still on it get rid of it!!!! It could even be norton causing your problem!!!!

If you boot into safe mode by pressing F8 before windows begins to load then selecting safe mode. Then press ctrl+alt+delete and stop any processes related to norton. You should then be able to remove it in add/remove programs!!!!!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If you continue to have problems getting rid of Norton, take a look at this thread HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back