System Information Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnyrizo

When I try to access System Information from Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools, two windows (or boxes, if you like to call them that) pop up. The first one says:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft\MSINFO\MSINFO32.EXE

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I click okay, and the second window appears right where the first one was:

The C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT40.DLL file expects a newer version of Windows. Upgrade your Windows version.

I have no idea why this happens. I remember at one point System Information was working, and now it doesn't. I always get these errors, even after restarting.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem? I am using Windows 98SE.

Have you tried running windows update in a while? That might be a solution.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

I used to get these errors quite frequently with both 95 and 98.
Turned out that programs were installing different versions of operating system files onto the computer.
Right click on the file MSVCRT40.DLL ,select properties and see what version of Windows it was made for. Sometimes it's as simple as moving the correct file back in and overwriting the faulty file.

Electrick Gypsy said:
I used to get these errors quite frequently with both 95 and 98.
Turned out that programs were installing different versions of operating system files onto the computer.
Right click on the file MSVCRT40.DLL ,select properties and see what version of Windows it was made for. Sometimes it's as simple as moving the correct file back in and overwriting the faulty file.

When I go to Properties, it doesn't tell me what version of Windows it was meant for, but I did find this:

File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Description: VC 4.x CRT DLL (Forwarded to msvcrt.dll)

The version of MSVCRT40.DLL (and possibly MSVCRT.DLL) that you have installed on your system are earlier versions of these files than MSINFO expects to find.

My version of MSVCRT40.DLL returns the following (with SP2 installed)..

File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2180)
Description: VC 4.x CRT DLL (Forwarded to msvcrt.dll)

I'd suggest following poertner's advice and running Windows Update.
Or re-installing SP2

*Sigh of relief*. Instead of looking for the Windows 98SE CD, I downloaded an older version of MSVCRT40.DLL from the Internet (did a search on Google, and found a website that had it). So far, there are no problems, and I can now access System Information again.

I don't know if there will be in the future, but I've saved a backup copy of MSVCRT40.DLL to a floppy.

That was your problem then, the version of the file that was causing your headache was released with Service Pack 2 for XP.
Glad you got it sorted.
Thanks for posting and letting us know the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back