System not powering up whereas mobo and GPU light is glowing

ABHRA BANERJEE

Hi,

I am encountering a frustrating issue here.

When I press my power button, the system doesn't fire up. Tried by changing the AC Adapter wire but issue not solved. I can see the mobo lights on. It only fires up when I try to pull the adapter loosely from the socket and at some point, it fires up.

Please help thanks.

Specs:

CPU-FX-8350
GPU Asus GTX 1080 Ti
RAM 16GB DDR3
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX.
SMPS: Cooler Master V850

Assuming you didn't change something, it could be...
Bad ground? Short to ground? Floating ground?...many ideas, like:
- test for bad power button & connection wire
- remove loose parts floating around in case
- remove all from case and rebuild on desktop following manual & confirming proper connections
- try another PSU

I didn't add anything recently. I added the graphics card on Feb 18 nothing else. I don't have a spare PSU now, guess I have to buy one. But first I am thinking of changing the ATX cable and see.

One other thing: How do I test for bad groung, short to ground, floating ground etc.

Thanks for ur help

"I added the graphics card on Feb 18 nothing else." - dig out manual and re-install after check slot for unwanted objects like wire clippings (yes, happened to me about 10 years ago) and make sure all connections to power are proper (some folks may use the wrong power connector on a video card which would then cause power to behave strangely..

What you describe makes me think there is a cracked / cold solder joint - possibly in PSU - it could be a bad wiring or connectors for the power button. You can start to test power button by removing the connector from the motherboard and shorting the two pins with a screwdriver or a paperclip - it is a 'momentary on' switch, so just a quick touch should start the machine - if machine starts then the power switch is suspect - and that can be confirmed by using a multimeter - if machine still doesn't start, it is a stronger case against the PSU.

Bad ground/short can be tested with multimeter if you have a good basic knowledge of electronics. The easier approach might be replacing each part with a known good part until it is obvious that a certain part is bad. Another possibility is that there is something floating around in the case, so rebuilding outside of the case might help. When putting it together, you can test each piece by getting an error because it isn't installed yet. This appears in beep code which are set by the maker. Errors like missing RAM which go away by installing some indicate that the problem is not RAM, etc. So check to see if your motherboard manual has errror codes - or maybe the makers website has this in the 'support' area.

Enormous thanks to you for helping me..I will test ur suggestions after I return from work.
One thing I noticed today is of I press the power button nothing happens and then when I bring the wall switch in a middle position (neither on nor off) after a sparking sound the system fires up. (Checked this with multiple sockets and found the same result)I will check the Gpu cables today but I thin Psu is the culprit.

Again thanks for the suggeations.

Sounds like there might be a house supply issue - might need local electrician to check for safety.

I'm trying to think of a reason that manipulating house current would impact operation of system on the other side of the step down conversion. One possibility is that the change in house current permits the onrush of current to bridge small gap (like a broken connection). Since this is a 'fully modular', you have to check connections on both ends of the power leads. In my experience, the connection at the PSU end can be deformed by a bit too much pressure or an off-center insertion.

Coolermaster also offers this:
http://coolermaster.force.com/pkb/a...er-Supply/?q=test+v850&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Hi, I did something today. I disconnected the Cables connecting the PSU and attached them again and the issue seems to be solved. I did 3 shutdowns and powered on 3 times successfully but after keeping the system on for 10 mints and redoing the procedure it failed.

I also checked the short and its fine, checked the switch boards also, they are fine. I will give you more updates in the coming days.

Last edited:
@Cycloid Torus I finally changed the PSU with new one and the issue is resolved. I submitted the other one for RMA but this is a recurrent problem in my house as there is a lot of voltage fluctuation. Will an UPS resolve my issue? Please suggest.

Again thanks for the troubles.

Depends on the nature of the underlying problem. This article may help: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/10-ways-to-protect-systems-from-electrical-catastrophes/ .... Simple answer is UPS can go a long way to protect sensitive electrical parts AND file integrity.

I get by with a strong surge protector - but I have quite good electrical service, so interruptions and fluctuations are relatively rare. In your case, the question is whether your neighbors have similar issues (if so, contact supplier; if not, consider hiring an electrician for a service).

That's a tough questions to answer: "whether your neighbors have similar issues"? 99% of my neighbors are associated with business and they user laptops. The issue is definitely from the supplier but they won't fix that (really can't say the reason), its been 27 yrs since my birth and we face the same issue. Therefore I would definitely buy an UPS.

P.S I am from INDIA

Back