System powers on for 2-3 seconds, then shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Relevant System Specs:

Abit KG7-Lite AMD761 Socket A 2DDR UDMA 100ATX Motherboard
AMD Athlon 1.4GHZ SCKTA 266FSB OEM

Any help with this would be very much appreciated, I am baffled currently...

*Note the system has been running properly for the past 3 years.

It sounded like one of the fans in my system was not spinning during a normal startup, although everything was running normally. I realized that it was the system fan that was not spinning. While inside, I cleaned off the heatsink on the cpu fan with a Q-tip because it had been all gunked up with dust from use. I tried to power on the system again and it did for 2-3 seconds, and then shut down again. I then would have to unplug the power cord from the system, plug it back in, and then power on again with the same result. I tried a replacement system fan and got the same result. I even got a replacement heat sink and cpu fan and again got the same result. I eventually disconnected all drives and I was able to power on successfully. I then powered down the system and connected power to the hard drive, and powered on successfully again. I repeated this process until everything was plugged back in and the system was running normally again. I then powered down the system, and put the side panel onto the case and when I tried to power on the system, I got the same result as before (2-3 seconds of power before shutting down). I then went through the same process as previously mentioned, but could not get the system running again. Eventually I took the entire system apart and put it back together, but I am getting the same result. I also tried running the system without any of the cards inserted and still nothing more than the 2-3 seconds. If I select the 230 option on my power supply, the system turns on, but it doesn't trigger the monitor at all, aka, the led on the monitor stays yellow and does not turn to green.
I would think that the problem is the power supply, except that I was able to get the system to power off and on 4 or 5 times normally after I first encountered the problem. Do you think it is the motherboard? or perhaps the CPU? I am really confused right now and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much for all of your help.
-Craigger

It is probably the power supply

The power supply is probably going bad. You may have over loaded it, or it might have recieved a shock of some kind (power surge maybe?), or it is just not as young as it used to be.

What ever you do DO NOT use the 230 setting on the power supply unless you live in Europe.

do you have a surge protector? if you don`t you should get one. If you do it may need to be replaced. :approve:

If it`s not that then check the processor. you may have done something when you were cleaning the heat sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back