Inactive System restores on it's own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

For the last week my computer has been out of commission. when my younger sister was using it, she said it just randomly shut down. When I turned it back on, win 7 wouldn't boot. Startup repair would also freeze and quit. I tried doing a system restore and it worked, but I still couldn't even get past the black boot screen. (windows symbol wouldnt show). So I made a Ubuntu live boot disk and saved all of my win7 files, and did a complete factory reset. I was able to boot and login to windows, but now my issue is that, immediately, malware was downloaded on my computer (hotbar?) and everyday my computer does gets the blue screen of death and shuts down. When I restart, it does a system restore, which deletes all of my programs and reinstalls the hotbar app, which is really malware. If I dont mess with it, my computer does the system restore on it's own.

I'm at a loss about what to do at this point. Everytime I do something to fix it, it does a system restore.

I also forgot to mention that I noticed, while I am trying to download firefox for then 50th time that everytime I do a google search, and I click on a link, I get redirected to another site that has an ip address at the URL. Malwarebytes blocks the redirect. But it still happens. And it happens everytime I load up a new page.

Welcome to TechSpot! I'll help with the malware redirects, but I need to get some information first:

First, stop trying to download Firefox until you get the system stable. And I'm not sure I understand how it is that Malwarebytes blocks the redirects, but you still get them!
===================================
Let's try to stop the restarts:
Control Panel> System> Advanced tab> Startup & Recovery section> Click on Settings> System Failure section> Uncheck Automatically Restart> OK> Apply> OK
==================================
Since an improper shut down was described to you, I'd like you to run an Error Check:

Where to set Error Checking up
You can do the Error Check from Command Prompt:
Using the Command Prompt should have been this: Start> Run> type in cmd> type in Chkdsk /f/r followed by a reboot. Chkdsk will start in a few seconds

Or Windows Explorer:
Right click on Start> Explore> My Computer> Right click on Local Drive (usually C)> Properties> Tools> Error Check> check both boxes on the screen that comes up> Apply> Close the message and reboot for the Error Checking to start.
========================================
If the system is stable enough, you need to run these scans so I can see what's going on:
Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.
================================================
My Guidelines: please read and follow:
  • Be patient. Malware cleaning takes time and I am also working with other members while I am helping you.
  • Read my instructions carefully. If you don't understand or have a problem, ask me.
  • If you have questions, or if a program doesn't work, stop and tell me about it. Don't try to get around it yourself.
  • Follow the order of the tasks I give you. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • File sharing programs should be uninstalled or disabled during the cleaning process..
  • Observe these:
    [o] Don't use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you.
    [o] Don't use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
    [o] Don't download and install new programs- except those I give you.
  • Please let me know of any changes in he system while I am working with you.
If I have not replied for 2 days, you can send me a PM reminder. Include the URL of your thread. Please do not send me a PM to tell me your logs are up.
If I don't get a reply from you in 5 days, the thread will be closed. If your problem persist, you can send a PM to reopen it.
=====================================

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back