System Running Very, Very Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum if not then I'm sorry and hope that the Sysop will move this to the right place.

I use both a Desktop (Pentium 4, 1.8GHz, 1G RAM, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2) and a Notebook (Pentium 4, 2.8GHz, 960MB RAM, Windows XP Professional) and up until now both have been working fine. Yesterday I was working on an Excel spreadsheet on my Desktop computer and after I saved it the PC when funny and from that time on has been working slow as a dog. I wait what seems for ever to load up anything even simple MS Paint. Even though I saved the Excel spreadsheet it seems to have disappeared!!!!

I ran the Windows Task Manager on both and see that on the Desktop the CPU is getting hammered 100% CPU usage and it's a thing called spoolsv.exe that's doin all the hogging at sometimes 98+% whereas on the Notebook System Idle Process is at 98+%

I ran Ad-Aware SE Personal last night and cleared 5 things but it still is working like a dog.....

Can anyone please suggets how I can fix this problem.

From here - http://torque.oncloud8.com/archives/000384.html

Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services and stop the Print Spooler. Turn off the printer. Now go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS and delete the files there. I found '00020.SHD' and '00020.SPL'. Now turn your printer back on and restart the service. Check task manager, spoolsv.exe should be at 00%. Whew!

Peddant said:
From here - http://torque.oncloud8.com/archives/000384.html

Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services and stop the Print Spooler. Turn off the printer. Now go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS and delete the files there. I found '00020.SHD' and '00020.SPL'. Now turn your printer back on and restart the service. Check task manager, spoolsv.exe should be at 00%. Whew!
Wow!!!! I'm Impressed! I joined this group only a week or so ago and just posted to say hello and here I am posted my first problem and within minutes it's solved. Thanks so much I was pulling my hair out.....I would never have worked that out without help and your help was so precise, not missing steps. Thanks fore taking the time and care. :)

PS. Now I know where that spreadsheet disappeared to. I remember that I tried to print it by using it to CutePDF Writer. I just tried doing this again and Excel now says that there are no printers installed and when I click the CutePDF Writer icon (which shows a 2 on it, perhaps meaning 2 print jobs) ) in Printers & Faxes I get a "Ooperation could not be completed. The Print Spooler service is not running"

Any ideas?

Gosh you replied whilst I was editing....insteading of adding a new post to the thread.....hope you see it Peddant....come on make my day :)

Ah,Ive just seen your edit.If you haven`t already googled -

1.Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2.Double-click Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
3.Double-click the Printer Spooler service, and then change the startup type to Automatic. This sets the Spooler service to start automatically when you restart the computer.
4.If you want to start the spooler service immediately, click the Start button under the Service Status field.

You can also start the Spooler service by typing net start spooler in the Run dialog box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back