System shuts down at the same time during boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some specs on my computer (I'm doing this from memory as I can't exactly access my computer, as you'll read in a minute)
Windows 7 Professional x86 (32-bit)
ASUS A8N-VM CSM Motherboard
Socket 939 AMD Processor 2.01 Ghz
3.00 GB of Ram
Evga 9800+ GTX Video Card
Two internal WD harddrives- one 40GB (Operating System) and 120GB (Storage/Misc.)

I haven't had any problems with my hardware or OS up until now. A few days ago, I noticed that my computer started shutting down at random, without warning. Thinking that my CPU was overheating, I shut my PC down, let it sit for a few hours, popped it open and blew out dust, and tried again. This time, it would shut down during boot-up at the same place, right after the start-up beep and bios/motherboard screen- a few seconds into Windows startup graphic. Thinking it was a hard drive problem, I popped it out, put it into my boyfriends computer, fixed a few errors in chkdsk and it ran fine on his machine. Of course when we popped it back into mine, it would still cut off at that same spot during start-up. I tried Win7's start-up repair and after it loaded up the files and looked like it was starting up, it would shutdown within a few seconds then too. I then decided to back up my files and just wipe Windows 7 thinking something in Windows 7 wasn't liking my hardware all of a sudden and go back to Windows XP as a test. Installing Windows XP went fine until the end of the blue screen install/copy files interface when it's supposed to reboot to finish up the OS install. It shutdown as it was counting down to reboot.

As far as I know, nothing is obviously wrong with my hardware. We tried removing the video card and letting it default to the onboard, removed the network card, switched out RAM...etc. My harddrive that I keep my OS on works fine on my boyfriend's machine. It seems to have enough power on my machine if it can go through the first part of a Windows XP install. I checked temps and voltage in BIOS and everything looked normal. It seems every time the system is about to reboot or is in start-up mode, it shuts down.

Is it possible the power supply is at fault? It just seem odd that it would be considering it can get through half of a Windows XP install but it shuts down on reboot as well as shutting down at the exact same time every other time. Any ideas on what to do so I can get my PC back?

PSU's deteriorate with usage and passage of time; and as you said you've tried replacing/switching various parts; it only leaves two things as far as i can understand from your post and they are PSU and the motherboard (check if something may be shorting it).

bios setting maybe

hi ive had this sometimes in the past what ive normally done is made sure everything in the bios is back to default settings and if you have 2 cd roms just make sure you have one connected ive had it happen to me half way through the xp install it just hangs and starts again ... check in the boot up that you have every thing connected in the right place assign master and slave to what you only need attached to the pc ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back