System shutting off after CPU upgrade

By abhijit11
Nov 4, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello All.
    This is my fist post - so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Motherboard ECS P4M800-M7 (v3.1) (LGA 775 /DDR)
    Bios : Latest from ECS website
    CPU: Pentium D 935
    Bios settings : All Defaults

I built the system with above motherboard and Pentum 4 2.8 GHz CPU with 1.5G RAM. The system was running fine for past 2.5 years. I decided to upgrade the system and bought used Pentium D 935 3.2 GHz . I'm using the stock fan and heat sink that I received with Pentium 4 2.8 GHz for the new processor and Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound.

System starts booting up , shows new CPU in BIOS, OS starts loading and if I'm lucky, it actually completes loading and I can log in. The system stays up for maximum of 2 minutes and then powers off or restarts. Sometimes it happens even before OS completes loading.

I'm not running any CPU intensive applications. I'm not even running any applications. Max CPU usage recorded is 8%. Speedfan shows temperature in the range of 38-42 C . Bios shows around 47.

What may be going wrong ? Any ideas?

Thanks !
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

You give no details on your power supply. I would suggest swapping it out
  3. abhijit11

abhijit11 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

It is stock power supply form Raidmax Sagitta case , I believe it is 450 W, I think should be sufficient for Pentium D. I'll double check tonight.
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

It is not an issue if the Raidmax is sufficient or not. It may just be worn out
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.