System slowed to a crawl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone help me please? I am a user with intermediate knowledge - I know what I have learned by using the computer! My pc has slowed right down to the point that it is quite difficult to use. I notice the problem even more in the evenings from about 7 p.m. Quite often IE hangs and I have trouble loading anything else or shutting anything down. I have Process Explorer but can't see anything obvious eating up my processor. I run AVG free as my virus checker and Zonealarm free as my firewall. I have run malwarebytes and hijack this and removed several adware files but the system is still painfully slow. Can anyone help me understand what is causing this please?

if your willing to spend some money download a good registry cleaner, regcure works well, or you can find a different one, they are a bit pricy but can help get your computer in the right condition...also, make sure your computer isnt being held back by your own fire wall...it happens.

if your willing to spend some money download a good registry cleaner, regcure works well, or you can find a different one, they are a bit pricy but can help get your computer in the right condition...also, make sure your computer isnt being held back by your own fire wall...it happens.
That may help, but at the same time there are free options too.

I would tell you to defrag, but you should first start with cleaning, then defrag after you delete all the useless files so you don't have to defrag those too. I'm a n00b at this so I won't suggest anything quite yet, and instead help by bumping you :).

As hellokitty[hk] suggest, you should delete all useless/temporary files using Ccleaner ->

Download: CCleaner
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html
http://www.ccleaner.com/
Once installed, run CCleaner click the Windows tab

Select the following:
Internet Explorer:
Temp Internet
History
Recently Typed URLs
Delete Index.dat files

System:
Empty Recycle Bin
Temporary Files
Memory Dumps
Chkdsk File Fragments
Old Prefetch Data

Next: click Options click the Settings tab
Uncheck: "Only delete files older than 48 hrs.", click Ok

Then click Run Cleaner (bottom right) then Exit
Reboot.

A fragmented drive causes a slow system.
Easy steps to defragment your drive:

1. Open My Computer.
2. Rightclick on the drive you want to defragment and select "Properties".
3. Click on the Tools tab.
4. Select Defragment Now....

Yes, but just to let you know, CCleaner can and will delete saved passwords and remember me items, so write those down or remember them.

I would also recommend going to the registry cleaner section, then running a scan, save a backup when prompted, and fix all issues. After that, run the scan again. It can take several scans to fix everything up.

Note, defragging will take a while and will require 15% free space, though you can go ahead and defrag even if you don't, but your defrag will be limited.
Also i just remember this thread: "Guide for making your windows run faster".

I would like to cite an old benchmark showing a massive slowdown with 100 fonts compared to 1000 fonts loading up.

Though if your computer is running unusually slow, you may want to run a malware scan. Follow the 8 steps if you are interested.

slowed to a crawl

thanks haterjake. I have used Maxregistry Cleaner regularly to do that bit of housekeeping so I am not sure this is the problem.

Whilst I'm sure someone will examine your hijack log more thoroughly, I've noticed that you have the following process running:

DfrgFat.exe

Were you defragging at the time you made the log? This process is from a third party defrag utility called Diskeeper, if such a process is trying to defrag in the background it could well explain a slow system.

I would disable this process if it's set to run automatically and see if there's any improvement.

Also I doubt it's anything too important but you can get hijack to fix this :

O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - (no file)

Slowed to a crawl

Yes I was doing a defrag - but on another drive - sorry I didn't realise it would show up! No secrets anywhere anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back