T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, AT&T all expand 4G-LTE coverage

Rick

Staff

'Tis the season to expand your network coverage. December is apparently the month to announce 4G-LTE network expansion plans, the most recent announcement made today by T-Mobile. The value-focused carrier said it'll be increasing its 4G coverage to 14 new markets, raising the total number of cities serviced by its 4G network to 37. 

Although the carrier's 4G isn't technically LTE, T-Mo promised earlier this year that true LTE service will coming in 2013.

Additionally, T-Mo mentioned that potential customers serviced within its areas will soon have a roundabout way to obtain and use iPhones on its network. The carrier has partnered with a smaller, no-contract company named Solavei. As it turns out, Solavei can hook up customers to T-Mobile's network via an attractive $49 unlimited-everything plan. Alternatively, customers can bring their own unlocked iPhones.

This week, Verizon had also announced plans to introduce its 4G-LTE service to 29 new markets. Those areas include Selma, AL, Clarksburg, VA and Port Angeles, WA. These additions bring Verizon's total U.S. coverage to 470 cities and counties. For a more detailed look the company's coverage, interested parties can visit Verizon's 4G-LTE coverage map.

Next up, Sprint claims its 4G-LTE reach will be growing to another six markets, spanning to parts of Indiana, Pennsylvania and California and most notably Chicago, IL. The company also claims it'll be introducing 4G-LTE coverage to over 100 new markets "in the coming months". Currently, Sprint's trails its two largest competitors with 49 markets serviced.

And to round out this holiday network expansion extravaganza, AT&T also voiced plans to expand its own 4G-LTE coverage the same day Verizon did. The rollout will include only seven additional cities, but will bring AT&T's total 4G market count to about 125 -- or very roughly one-third of what Verizon is offering.

Permalink to story.

A shame that Sprint and T-Mobile won't expand their <b>3G</b> (or any part of their footprints) beyond the largest markets. So many people are dying to leave AT&T and Verizon but have no alternative where they live.

Ahh verizon wireless <3
49mb/s down where I life..
+ bought my iPhone 5 for full retail keeping me in the unlimited data plan....fapfapfap

A shame that Sprint and T-Mobile won't expand their <b>3G</b> (or any part of their footprints) beyond the largest markets. So many people are dying to leave AT&T and Verizon but have no alternative where they live.

The only reason I can imagine you'd want to leave Verizon or AT&T and go to sprint would be unlimited data. Sprint can afford to give out unlmited data because their network is so slow you couldn't possibly use very much. Speed tests in Sprint's network here in Milwaukee range from 400-500 kbps on a good day to as low as 60. You can't stream video or even browse the net of any pages with photos or lots of data, it's just too frustrating. Having your phone trying it's hardest to download something is also a great way to kill a battery.

I've used their 4G network in Chicago and outside of Ohare, it's not any good either. Speeds are 4-5Mbps, but it disconnects all the time (I've tried on more than one phone). Maybe if you live in a city that is on one of Sprint's maps you'll have better luck. Milwaukee is apparently too small to be worth it for a big effort (since we're behind Chicago and Indianapolis) but too big to be worth it for a small effort (Carmel and Fort Wayne Indiana are getting LTE soon too).

I wouldn't be so bitter except I signed a 2 year contract with them before knowing these things.

Just wait until VZW changes it's terms of service and eliminates your unlimited data. You're no longer under a 2-year contract since you paid full price and on a month-to-month deal. They'll get you one way or the other.

Sounds like they have you on one of those fancy new Data Share Plans. Except instead of sharing data with other phones with familymembers on your plan, you're sharing data with everyone in the neighborhood.

When this happened to me in the past, I called TMobile and they in-turn found and called the Homeowners Association in the neighborhood, to build a tower at the end of the street block. If I would have known, the tower would have been approved faster.

Sprint can afford to give out unlmited data because their network is so slow you couldn't possibly use very much. Speed tests in Sprint's network here in Milwaukee range from 400-500 kbps on a good day to as low as 60. You can't stream video or even browse the net of any pages with photos or lots of data, it's just too frustrating. Having your phone trying it's hardest to download something is also a great way to kill a battery.... In Chicago and outside of Ohare, it's not any good either. Speeds are 4-5Mbps, but it disconnects. I wouldn't be so bitter except I signed a 2 year contract with them before knowing these things.

I live near dekalb il. The att network must be getting better here.I could not even make a cell call in my house. but now I can. I am also in verizon country. and now I have at least 4 bars of 4g on my galaxy s2 now.

[FONT=Helvetica]Is there any way to determine which phone company provides the most timely and consistent updates? AT&T seems to do a lot of updates, which keeps them relevant while building its 4G LTE network. I've got the service here in New York and it helps my graphics design work tremendously when it comes to sending large files quickly.[/FONT]

Sprint is slow as hell. tmo is the best value in terms of price and speed/coverage. they just show lowest subscriber amount because they dont OFFICIALLY have the iphone, but those who realize iphone sucks anyways compared to the more technologically advanced android/windows phones already know how much superior tmo is to sprint..

and tmo is GSM.. easier to sell used phones and travel

Tmo is the best. The money you pay vs. what you get is amazing! 3 people on the line, 2 smartphones with unlimited 2gb and everyone with unlimited talk and text and we pay less than $180. Internet is fast and downloads apps in a snap! Unfortunately as soon as you leave 4g you get 2g, but 2g is fast enough to stream pandora! Very pleased with the phones, we have a s3 and s2. I'm hoping for the note 2 around may, when my contract ends.

Back