T-Mobile will lay off 5,000 employees in the coming weeks

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: T-Mobile has announced plans to cut nearly 5,000 jobs, or roughly seven percent of its workforce, in the coming weeks. In an e-mail to employees dated August 24 that was also shared in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, T-Mobile CEO Mike Sievert said corporate and back-office positions will be hit the hardest. Some technology roles will also be impacted, Sievert added, but noted that retail and consumer care reps will not be affected.

The executive said the cuts will help curb excessive spending, and come at a time when the wireless company is at a pivotal crossroads. "What it takes to attract and retain customers is materially more expensive than it was just a few quarters ago," Sievert said, adding that they have been out-running the trend by accelerating merger synergies, building their high-speed Internet business faster than expected, and performing above average in a few other areas.

Even with all of that, it will not be enough to meet customer expectations moving forward, Sievert said. The best time to challenge the status quo is while they are still successful, and that time is right now, Sievert added.

The savings will allow the nation's third largest wireless carrier to narrow its focus, reduce operating complexity, and have the financial ability to continue to differentiate its network and customer experience.

T-Mobile helped reshape the wireless industry through its Un-carrier strategy over the past decade. Led by former CEO John Legere, the initiative was so transformative that in many instances, the competition had no choice but to follow suit and roll out similar programs.

Legere was also instrumental in helping to engineer and get the Sprint merger approved. In fact, that would be his last hurrah as Legere stepped down as chief executive once the merger was completed and passed the baton over to Sievert.

Looking ahead, Sievert said he does not expect any additional widespread company reductions in the foreseeable future. As for Legere, he is still active on X (formerly Twitter) but has not started his next act as far as I can tell.

Image credit: Mika Baumeister

Permalink to story.

I think they might be in for a wake up call on this one .... the competition is waiting in the wings; might be a good time for a price cut across the board and drive them out of business .....

I think they might be in for a wake up call on this one .... the competition is waiting in the wings; might be a good time for a price cut across the board and drive them out of business .....
They already are the cheapest "major" carrier but also own Mint mobile, which is by far the cheapest and I also think Boost Mobile. What I think they're doing is laying off duplicate employees from the sprint merger.

They already are the cheapest "major" carrier but also own Mint mobile, which is by far the cheapest and I also think Boost Mobile. What I think they're doing is laying off duplicate employees from the sprint merger.
Inexpensive doesn't mean bad. I have TMobile and love the service. It's better than Verizon ever was, by far!

I switched to tmobile in 2015 after being an ATT customer for 12 years. I get better service for about half the price. Never looked back
OH! I thought you were blasting them. Fair enough. I do happen to agree, they seem to be slim-lining.

They have or at least had this feature where fast data was not shared among all lines.
At the time I was looking for a family plan, they were the only carrier who had this feature.
it is important to me because I do not want to buy unlim. data only because one person in my family needs much more data.
I understand that it is much more profitable for carriers to have shared data, since one person spending all of the data means they get to sell more.

they are not owned by tmobile yet.

Inexpensive doesn't mean bad. I have TMobile and love the service. It's better than Verizon ever was, by far!
Well, I've never had a stitch of trouble, or anything more than a glitch of trouble with Verizon.

In fairness though, I've never had wireless service from them either. All my dealings are from wired, and now FIOS land service..In fact, due my retired and low income status, I get 300 Mbs service from them free. I do have to pay pay about 20 bucks a month for my ... (wait for it)......landline phone. I did have to give them "the keys to my bank account", so to speak, to close the deal.

At one time in the past, I did without internet for a couple of weeks. That was because some imbecile crashed into a main junction pole, taking it down. I can't in good conscience, blame that on Verizon. Or can I? :confused:

At one point, the copper wiring just plain gave out. After complaining several times about intermittent phone service, they sent a full crew out with a 5' diameter coil of wire, and rewired the system to a junction nearly a block away. And all for my 10 or 12 bucks a month landline phone.

In talking to the techs, they were pretty mad about having to supply all the equipment and maintenance for companies like T mobile to rent bandwidth, pretty much without any infrastructure investment on their part.

YRMV of course. I have absolutely no idea of what Verizon is like for wireless service. Having to listen to the free iPhone for a specific contract bullshi!t ads all night though, just gives me a headache..

Last edited:
Well, I've never had a stitch of trouble, or anything more than a glitch of trouble with Verizon.

In fairness though, I've never had wireless service from them either. All my dealings are from wired, and now FIOS land service..In fact, due my retired and low income status, I get 300 Mbs service from them free. I do have to pay pay about 20 bucks a month for my ... (wait for it)......landline phone. I did have to give them "the keys to my bank account", so to speak, to close the deal.

At one time in the past, I did without internet for a couple of weeks. That was because some imbecile crashed into a main junction pole, taking it down. I can't in good conscience, blame that on Verizon. Or can I? :confused:

At one point, the copper wiring just plain gave out. After complaining several times about intermittent phone service, they sent a full crew out with a 5' diameter coil of wire, and rewired the system to a junction nearly a block away. And all for my 10 or 12 bucks a month landline phone.

In talking to the techs, they were pretty mad about having to supply all the equipment and maintenance for companies like T mobile to rent bandwidth, pretty much without any infrastructure investment on their part.

YRMV of course. I have absolutely no idea of what Verizon is like for wireless service. Having to listen to the free iPhone for a specific contract bullshi!t ads all night though, just gives me a headache..
verizon is awful and ridiculous expensive as well as the master of hidden fees; like they work for the IRS or something

verizon is ... the master of hidden fees; like they work for the IRS or something
This is the truth. Chintzy jerks. I wouldn't use Verizon again even if it was the only thing left. Would rather not have a mobile phone than ever deal with Verizon again.

Back