TechSpot

T-Mobile's Simple Starter plan offers unlimited talk, text and 500MB of capped data for $40

1. T-Mobile has announced a new $40 Simple Starter plan that promises unlimited talk, text and 500MB of high-speed data. The key selling point of the new plan, which targets the low end of the wireless service market, is that there...

Read more

2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

500mb of data...Yea that would last the average user about a week at most.

3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Just 3 days into the month and I've already passed 500 Mb of data.

4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,752   +1,106

There are no data overages on their other plans either. They just throttle your speed down. Even then it only stops you from streaming video... even internet radio works ok.

How? Netflix? I feel like I'm missing out on something because I don't use that much data... or maybe I'm lucky enough to have wi-fi often.

TadMSTR likes this.
  5. TadMSTR

TadMSTR TS Enthusiast Posts: 37   +9

I'm currently on their $50/mo plan with 500mb of data and throttled when over. I checked my previous usage of mobile data and it was 66mb last month. I'm always in range of Wi-Fi at home and work. Since I'm a cablevision customer (Internet only) I get access to Optimum hotspots as well as Xfinity/Cablevision hotspots (the 2 don't compete so have a deal to share hotspots) at no extra cost. I very rarely need mobile data. The $40/mo plan is for people like me. Saving $10 here and there adds up.

6. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

A mix of youtube and Pandora, with a side-order of Ingress tossed in.

7. robertocarlus

robertocarlus TS Rookie

Seriously this prices are pathetic, USA sounds more like the so called third world countries in Africa where they abuse of the customers, USA is no different, 40$ are crazy, not even 15$/20$ a month max. And the lovely American people doesn't complain one bit.

8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,752   +1,106

Well, first off, we complain all the time. We complain about the coverage, we complain about the price, and we complain about the speed. Secondly, $40/month is a good price for high speed internet. We complain because very few of us pay $40, many plans are $100/month. By comparison, my home broadband internet is $60/month and doesn't exactly help me much when I'm walking down the street or driving. Cable TV here is $80 or more a month.

The US is also unique in the world in terms of geography and population. We have a lot of people very spread out. Even Canada has it's population fairly concentrated compared to it's area. The US could never compete with Europe for cell coverage and speed.

9. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 957   +273

Some of us complain.... I think data is way overpriced. All mobile phone services are overpriced. And everyone has a mobile phone so these companies are BANKING big time on us.

10. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,557   +862

Straight talk gives "unlimited" everything for 5 dollars more, with a more extensive network...am I missing something?