TechSpot

Tablet shipments fall for the first time ever as markets begin to saturate

By Shawn Knight
Jul 9, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Growth in the post-PC era may finally be slowing down if the latest report from NPD DisplaySearch is any indication. The analytics firm found that tablet shipments during the first quarter dropped year-over-year for the first time ever.

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,560   +862

I think phones are going to find a sweetspot size and tablets are going to become a smaller niche device, if they'll have a market at all...honestly even at this point in time I think they are pointless. especially with the rising popularity of convertible laptops again, which have always been vastly superior to tablets to begin with.

misor and TraceAbsence like this.
  3. I agree, I'm perfectly content with my S3 or even a Note but I have no need for a bigger screen (tablet) when my laptop is faster, can actually do more than one thing at once, can run full productivity suites, and can surf the "real web" in all its flash/java/silverlight glory without having to hunt for apps.

TraceAbsence likes this.
  4. TraceAbsence

TraceAbsence TS Rookie

People are beginning to realize that true portability comes only in smart phone sizes. Tablets never come out of your bag (which you need) easily; they are cumbersome and impossible to hold with one hand. Then why not just get an ultrabook or a Macbook (what I use) which is light enough to carry around in your backpack? Not to mention much more powerful. If I want portability, I'll go for a Galaxy 5, a nexus 5 or better yet, an iPhone 6 come September.

5. TraceAbsence

TraceAbsence TS Rookie

A few months ago I bought an iPad Mini. After a couple of weeks I just couldn't deal with it anymore, having to constantly take it out of my bag to check for anything. I sold it. My iPod Touch does a better job. I'll wait for iPhone 6.

6. TraceAbsence

TraceAbsence TS Rookie

Couldn't have said it better myself.

7. Teko03

Teko03 TS Maniac Posts: 318   +117

This is certainly good news for the future of Microsoft. If they get the hybrid functionality of the Desktop and Modern UI right with Windows 9 the future of hybrids and the Surface line would be bright. Maybe even Windows Phone as well with universal app capabilities.

8. samirsshah

samirsshah TS Rookie

Tablet market is a duopoly of Apple and Samsung. Others have come in but they have problems like resolution (very important for reading), distribution in various countries and many other problems related to critical mass. Samsung and Apple have kept prices high and until their prices come down by at least $100 tablet market may remain flat or even decrease.

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,509   +2,056

What goes up must come down. Smartphones have become integral to a lot of people but tablets not so much.

10. at0mic_Mike

at0mic_Mike TS Member Posts: 31

The quality of the manufacturer such as samsung or asus also keeps sales down because they seem to last a while.

11. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 858   +339

Yes! I guess some people finally realized that tablets are useless toys compared to smartphones and PCs.

12. Not surprising that tablets became over-saturated, I was at a Verizon store getting a new phone and the salesperson was trying their hardest to sell me a free tablet.