Take a look at the $12,000 watch that doesn't even tell the time

midian182

Staff member

Smartwatches are becoming more advanced. With the sheer number of functions they can perform – health monitoring, games, notifications, etc. – it’s easy to forget that they’re actually timepieces.

Now, watchmaker Hautlence has released a watch that’s stripped of all technical gadgetry - to the point that it doesn’t even tell the time. The only thing you can do with it is play a miniature version of the old Labyrinth marble game. And the price of this 'wrist ornament?' $12,000.

Described by Hautlence as “a useless yet entirely essential object,” the Playground Labyrinth “offers a new vision of time altogether,” presumably by not actually telling you what it is.

What your $12K gets you is a tiny recreation of the Labyrinth skill game that’s been around since the 50s, except in this version you have to navigate a forged platinum ball around a solid gold maze using your wrist movements. The idea is to get the ball into the hole, which is then retrieved using a mechanical lift - activated by turning the crown dial on the side of the titanium case.

“Labyrinth may not tell the time; however, it is perfectly aligned with the excellence in watchmaking that is embedded in Hautlence’s DNA,” says the company on its website.

There are some fairly expensive smart/connected watches available today, including Tag Heuer’s $1500 device, Breitling’s luxury $8900 Exospace B55, and Apple’s $10,000 Rose Gold Apple Watch Edition, all of which are not only cheaper than the Playground Labyrinth but can also tell you what the time is.

If you find the whole thing a bit strange, then have a look at the Playground Labyrinth’s equally bewildering, and fairly pretentious, video ad, which features the former soccer player turned actor, Eric Cantona.

Permalink to story.

Oh there are plenty of people with more money than brains that will actually buy one of these! Just wish I had stock in "stupidity" ..... I would easily be a Billionaire by noon!

What a waste of money ! I can't imagine somebody buying this piece of expensive junk. You can't even call it a watch.

Hahaha the idea is excellent it appeals exactly because of that, this is clearly a joke, a good one.

I'm pretty sure you are all mad because none of you thought of it.

Great. I can't think of anything more sensible or functional to invest in, where do I procure one... no, make that a couple? :D

You are all jelly cause you'll never have one of this and won't be the cool kid in the class

You are all jelly cause you'll never have one of this and won't be the cool kid in the class

Is there something wrong with you? No one found you funny the first time, so why post again, essentially the same thing... Clearly suffering from some sort of socially deficiency, but I digress. Now go get mad because you were called out on it.

How is this even called a watch, I'd call it a bracelet, now good luck looking like "the cool kid in class" unless you're 8 years old, in which case yes, so very cool for you...

It's funny that no one is getting this, and a bit sad at the same time.
Is there something wrong with you? No one found you funny the first time, so why post again, essentially the same thing... Clearly suffering from some sort of socially deficiency, but I digress. Now go get mad because you were called out on it.

How is this even called a watch, I'd call it a bracelet, now good luck looking like "the cool kid in class" unless you're 8 years old, in which case yes, so very cool for you...
And I didn't say the same thing, first I called you mad for not thinking in it before, everyone "could've been rich" if they would've thought in such an outrageous "watch". Now everyone is jelly cause they won't have one, like, ever. How come no one else is getting the genious of this all??

Pretty sure Midian can relate, or this wouldn't have been here at all, like, ever.

Edit: Ok, think of this, for a second, out of the box. Whoever gets this has no time to worry, they are not dictated by what time it is, but whatever they can do with their time. Freaking (Although the first word was going to be all blanked by asterisks) genious, and none of you would've ever even glimpsed on the concept.

It's not that people have more money than sense, it's that at one point they don't even care, they are selling an overly complex concept.

Back