Tape Backup won't Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a disastrous week here, a little background:

A disk in our array was consistently failing. Dell sent out a replacement disk and the company which we contract to handle our computer stuff came out to replace it. The guy got here and called up Dell Enterprise once he had put the HD in to have them walk him through the steps on configuring it... which had me wondering why I didn't do it myself.

Anyway, the Dell tech had him configure the disks in reverse. He mirrored the new disk to the old one from what I understand, effectively losing all our data for the day. He spent the next four hours rebuilding the new disk. To make a long story short we had to put the old corrupt disk back in and run a recovery on it which brought our files current to last friday (03/03) The last good tape backup we had made was on Tuesday night (03/07). Currently I'm SOL however, because the Veritas Exec software lost the catalog information for the tapes past last Friday and won't catalog Monday or Tuesday's tapes.

The error in the job log reads: "An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in DELL 1"

Is any of the data on this tape recoverable at all? I don't need a whole lot of it, just the couple projects that were changed & created on those two days (03/06 & 03/07)

Another question I've been forced to wonder is what's the point of this tape backup at all if the backup gets screwy when a harddrive fails? Isn't that exactly when it's needed? I think I may have to re-evaluate my disaster management solutions.

Sorry for the rant. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Was the tape catalog on the hard drive and it's corrupt because of that? You should always write the catalog to a tape too.

You should talk to Veritas or whoever supports your backup solution. Unless the "inconsistency" means "catalog is missing", you should be able to recover what is recoverable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back