Task manager will not open

By vafanardetta
Nov 1, 2008
  1. Starting today, I cannot open Task Manager. An icon is opened in the tray but I cannot click it to get the software opened. If I try to open again, another icon is opened, but I still don't get the software. I've tried reboot twice. I use Vista SP1

Same goes for MS Outlook. Cannot open. No icon in the tray.

Logfile attached,

2. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

Sounds like spyware. I recommend the following 3 anti-spyware utilities (allavailable in the Download section at this site:

1) AVG 8
    2) Ad-Aware 2008
    3) Spybot Search & Destroy

Repost with results.

-- Andy
  3. vafanardetta

vafanardetta TS Rookie Topic Starter

Still having problems

I have already run Spybot (with latest updates) and CA's eTrust (with latest updates). But found nothing.

I just now tried to install Ad Aware 2008, but actually the "install" doesn't work either.

So now I cannot (1) run Task manager, (2) run MS Outlook, (3) install programmes

4. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

5. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

Well if you can't install programs then its pretty hard to do any spyware removal. In a case like this you're forced to jump to a Windows repair. I usually wait until all or as much of the spyware is removed before doing it. But we have no choice.

Do you have a Windows installation CD that matches the one on your computer? Do you know how to perform a Windows repair?

-- Andy
  6. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

The Kellys Korner link above, is not a program install, so this would be the best first option

Otherwise download RatsCheddar (a "StandAlone" program, ie no install)

It contains a program written by Rathat, and it is a Policy Controller.
    Save and extract this program to the desktop.
    Once extracted, Double click on the RatsCheddar.exe file.
    Enable everything, then click Exit
    Reboot your Computer.
  7. vafanardetta

vafanardetta TS Rookie Topic Starter

Do I still have a problem?

CCT: I followed your advice and I now have access to Task Manager. With this fix I also have access to MS Outlook and installation! Thanks

Not sure if there still are problems with my PC.
    - What is the 8-strp virus removal process?
    - Is there something suspicious in my earlier log file?
    - Still makes sense to use RatsCheddar?

I have now also run a deep scan using Ad Aware and found several cookies, nothing worse.

8. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.