Taskmgr.exe Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I found these forums while looking for people who were having similar issues as myself, but I've tried a few things and finally decided that I need some help.

I'm currently typing this from my new computer and the old one is having the issues. I recently thought I was having hard drives problems and so I formatted the partition that had Windows XP SP 2 on it and reinstalled. The installation took forever and after booting into the fresh install the first time, every thing was running slow and I decided to check Task Manager and see if maybe the CPU was being tasked by something.

Sure enough, taskmgr.exe was taking 50% or more of the CPU up. Even when I have nothing else open and try to do something it is extremely slow. I don't have an internet connection for the old one because I have a home network set up and, in case it might be a virus, I don't want to risk infecting this computer. However, I have a thumb drive I can put some programs on and move to the old if necessary. Any suggestions?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The fact that you formatted and reinstalled Windows should, to all intents and purposes, rule out a virus infection.

However, it wouldn`t hurt to check.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

If you could also post a screen shot of your task managers processes, it might help to identify the culprit.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Sorry, I forgot to mention I have 3 total hard drives, one of which is partitioned to keep the OS separate from my personal data. Therefore one of the other hard drives might be housing something malicious. Here is the HJT log file and task manager's process list screen shot attached as requested.

There`s nothing nasty in your HJT log.

Apart from task manager taking 78% of cpu resources everything looks fine.

However, obviously something`s amiss.

Try doing a Windows repair as per this thread HERE and see if it helps.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back