TechSpot

TCP\IP question

By ak_in_charge
Jan 13, 2004
  1. Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to uninstall and reinstall TCP\IP on a XP Home machine.

In XP the option to uninstall is greyed out because Microsoft considers it a core component of the operating system.

I searched the Microsoft knowledge base and google several times and all I can come up with is using what is called a "NetShell" utility but that the steps for that just sound a little complicated for what should be an easy process.

Anyway just thought this would be the place to go for answers.

Thanks in advance.

2. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,058

Have you tried uninstalling your NIC and removing the network components from there? All should re-install when the drivers are re-added when the O/S finds the NIC again on reboot.

3. ak_in_charge

ak_in_charge TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 119

I've uninstalled an re-installed the drivers but its an onboard NIC.

This is just a computer I'm working on for a customer so I can't go out and get a different motherboard. I've installed a 3com NIC card that we had lying around and it give me the same error when ever I do an "ipconif /renew"

error message: "operation was attemped on something that is not a socket"

I found that in the registry I can delete the Winsock and Winsock2
    files but I can't figure out how to reinstall them using NetShell which is how the Microsft Knowledge Base suggests how to do it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817571&Product=winxp

Maybe someone can read this differently and explain to me

Thanx again

4. ak_in_charge

ak_in_charge TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 119

GOOD NEWS!!

I solved the problem.

I just ended up exporting the Winsock and Winsock2 files from another machine running XP on to a floppy disk and importing them into the registry on to the other computer.

This seemed to work really well and was very easy once I figured it out so anyone with a TCP\IP issue with XP this is a good way to go about fixing it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.