Techie people help

Status
Not open for further replies.

chase24

corsair 650tx for my m9350f

I want to upgrade my video card, I asked the hp tech support if it's okay to upgrade my psu and will it fit my cpu casing.
This is their reply: "from the product (m9350f) specifications I see that your computer was shipped with Standard ATX Power Supply Unit (PSU) of 460 watts. I would like to inform you that the HP recommends maximum of 460watts PSU for this model computer, since we have not tested with higher power output, so we do not recommend to use higher power output. As an alternative, I would suggest you to install a video/graphics card which requires 460 watts or lesser than that."

Does it mean that I should not upgrade my psu to a higher watts because my cpu can't take it?

Or are they just saying this because they don't want me to buy other brands than theirs?

I really want to upgrade my psu to upgrade my gpu but I want to make sure if it will not toast my cpu. PLEASE HELP!

My pc specs:

Psu: 460 watts
processor: Phenom-9850 (A) 2.5 GHz (125W)
HD: 750 gb
ram: 6gb
gpu: GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB GDDR3 memory
link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3747345

link to my stock psu: http://itwinkle.stores.yahoo.net/hp46posu51.html

what a load of crap!. the purpose of a PSU is to deliver precisely regulated power to the various components within your computer system. it does not matter if you have a 200w PSU or a 1200w psu in there as long as it is of a quality build and and accurately delivers the prescribed voltage that the components require. what you have there is a front line help desk guy playing the cover HP's a** for warranty purposes. look at the label on the side of your current PSU, I bet it says 'Bestech" on it... on of the worst PSU's known to the industry.

red1776 beat me again! And I couldn't agree with his advice more. I found that with HP, as well as Dell, that any upgrade advice is to steer you to what they offer at outrageous prices.

Buy from NewEgg.

okay red1776, thanks for the advice. The stock brand of my psu is oem. last question.
So any psu brand can fit it my cpu casing? just to make sure before I buy the gpu and psu.

Just to reiterate on the above

If you had a million trillion watt Power Supply, the components on the computer (all of them, including the CPU) will only draw as much as required

Therefore the Power Supply does not deliver the power by its own means
The connected devices (ie the load) draw the required power, and only as much as they need.

So why then doesn't everyone get a 1000Watt PSU ?
This is because for the Power Supply to work optimally it should be under 30% load. Any more, or less, than this, the power supply will not be working optimally and therefore the load (ie your computer basically) will not run optimally

So what to get?
Generally many users opt for around 500 to 650Watt PSU with addon Video card and Hard Drive(s) and DVD Drive and Ram and fans and all the rest of the stuff that draws power
I note that this can be expanded from 400Watt to ~ 800Watt, depending upon all of the hardwares (loads) that are installed
For a basic HP with addon Video card you could use ~500Watt and all will be ok
But your 460 watts (as per HP recommendations) will suffice.

BUT, I would suggest a better Power Supply than what is shipped with standard HPs anyway. Even though it will still work

EDIT:
So you presently have a 250Watt ?
Yes I believe this requires updating ;)

thanks kimsland for that advice. I presently have the 460 watt the one on the link I gave. Since I want to buy the Hd radeon 4890 which requires 500 watt. Then I need to replace the stock.

If you had a million trillion watt Power Supply,

Dont be absurd Kims,,,,a million trillion watt power supply would cost at least $300! :haha::p

To add to that, quality is the name of the PSU game, a good quality PSU will actually deliver more and better power than a cheapie psu of the same wattage rating. That HP PSU you have now probably only runs at about 65% efficiency and creates more heat doing so. the more heat ,the less efficiently it runs. not to mention a lot of ripple ( a deviation from consistent power delivery) and it can ruin your components and give you poor performance, particularly while doing something as resource demanding as gaming.
for the system you have and the card you want to upgrade to, should really have a minimum of 30A on the 12V rail (s) here is a n example of a good PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Yes higher Amps means heavier wires and electronics, and therefore better /stronger PSU

I'm sure most of us have picked up an OEM fitted power supply that weighs like its full of air, and then bought a quality power supply that is about 3 times heavier, and usually comes with a large fan underneath as well.

So from the top :)
Its correct wattage ~500Watt+
Good amperage ~ 30A+
Good cooling (and quiet)
Higher efficiency and less tolerance
Oh and all the connectors you need (+ some)

Here's a good guide on Power Supplies basics: http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgpower/faq.html

hi everyone,

I have a follow up questions about this just to make sure that the new components won't have compatibility problems.

My mom bought the Corsair - 650W ATX CPU Power Supply http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair...783&skuId=9358269&st=Corsair - 650W&cp=1&lp=1 and XFX - ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+A...Card/9566025.p?id=1218125775469&skuId=9566025.
The salesman told my mom that I must make sure that the pins in my cpu specially mentioned the ram will be compatible so that It won't overheat. My mom gave them the model of my cpu but they couldn't tell 100% if it will be compatible. my pc model: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...29&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3747345

So help please before the components will be shipped here.

i've to add. the dimensions of the stock psu is 3.3" x 5.8" x 5.5" (H x W x D)
which will be replace by new psu (corsair 650 tx atx CMPSU-650TX) that has the dimensions of 3.4 x 5.9 x 5.5 (H x W x D). as you can see the new psu is larger by .1 of height and with. so will still fit my casing?

You can confirm with HP here if the PSU will fit/work or what questions you may have relating to HP hardware: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic100655.html

Members with a green dot next to their name, mean they are online

Instead of consistently replying to yourself, use "EDIT" located under your last post (if its the last post in the thread - of which it presently isn't, since I have now replied)
Multiple posts (all within the last day) just cause multiple not required emails.

Note: Support members are always busy, you must be patient, but you can "bump" a topic after 2 days of inactivity.
By replying with the word bump (and a short update info)

kimsland, I tried the chat tech support of hp but only error pops out, So I can't use it. Sorry if i'm hasty for answers. Because I need a quick reply before my mom ships the product here in my country.

edit: If I ask the hp support are they going to be honest with me since the product I bought for upgrade is a different brand?

what do you suggest kimsland? should I tell my mom to get a refund? and find a different psu or gpu? I really want to upgrade my gpu.

When you say that it will squeeze in, will it still fit inside and work and close the casing like everything is normal?

Can I make some slight adjustment in my casing like bend some steel or something just to fit my new psu?
because I really like my new psu but of course I hope it will work.

edit: will it be hard to find psu that has same dimension of my stock? My only options are the ones being sold in best buy.

thanks kimsland.

Is there a Best Buy near you? If there is a problem, you should be able to return/exchange the PSU at the Best Buy closest to you instead of the one your mother bought it from. Make sure she sends the receipt with the unit. One tenth of an inch overall is only 0.05 inches on each side of the PSU.

mailpup my mom lives in new york and I live in the Philippines and there's no best buy here. So before she sends the psu here, I must make sure 1st if it's going to fit. I remember she said that she has 30 days money back from best buy. The shipping from new york to Philippines is a month so If there's a problem I won't have time to ship it back there and get a refund. I'm not sure about return/exchange.

thanks, I use a different browser. Now I'm chatting with the hp support. I hope she will give me a honest answer. I want that new psu badly.

okay kimsland, found the problem. thanks to you again. The psu that I should be looking for is the micro atx type. The problem was they didn't put the psu specs in their website so I didn't have the idea about what psu should I be looking for.

So now my mom must return/exchange the psu into a micro atx back to best buy. Can anyone here give me suggestions on what micro atx psu with a good brand to look for in best buy website?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back