TechSpot PC Buying Guide: New-Gen vs. Old-Gen

No budget 4k 60 gaming build? Your next step up from a value gaming rig is the high end rig and you go from a rx 6600 to a rtx 4080? thats quite a gap in between. Do a build for someone that wants to game on the 4k tv at 60 fps. I would suggest a ryzen 5 5600 and a rx 6800 minimum. dont spend money on a cpu cooler. only spend $50 on a tb m.2 Its still plenty fast. A case should only be $50. 16gb of ram works too.

This may not be TechSpot's thing but the build guides I value most are ones where the systems are actually built, tuned, and reviewed. Sure we already know roughly what each of the components can do but a great build guide can add specific insights into how well everything fit, what the temps and noise were like, what overclocks were applied*, whether the builder ended up happy with their part selection or would consider changes if doing it again, etc.

*plot twist: on today's top end gear, rather than overclocks, I think I'd rather hear what limits were set to get most of the performance for a lot less of the power / heat / noise.

Another interesting commentary section can be the pros/cons of building now vs. building later (recognizing that there's always some people who need to build now making that moot for them.)

Considering the energy crisis is spreading around the world, the workstation price above lacks a diesel-electric generator for backup.

Agree with hover389. There are 6800XTs available in a $500 range (especially at the time of the article) that would shave $700 off that high end gaming system if you didn't need ray tracing. List needs a "bang for the buck" gamer with a $1500 target.

Are we getting near time for a quarterly update to this system guide? I'm itching to pull the trigger on a new build and was wondering what's new since this guide came out! Specifically what updates/changes would be appropriate for "The Value Gaming Rig" since this guide came out?

Back