TechSpot's Smartphone Buying Guide: Q3 2011

Good overview. I'm surprised Sprint's EVO 4G isn't mentioned though. The Shift isn't less expensive (as stated in the Shift's notes) they're both $100 with contract, and if you have sprint, don't want to pay for 3D, don't care about a slide out keyboard you're left with the EVO (or Samsung Epic, which far fewer people choose), which is a great phone. I have one so I'm baised... now if only Sprint would get on that 4G bandwagon in my city....

I've always been curious why the same smartphone has different names on different carriers. I mean, the phone is the same phone no matter which carrier has it, so why rename it? Just seems pointless to me.

You write about 5 phones that are not out yet, and failed to mention the Blackberry Bold 9900 which has been officially advertised.

Not really the same at all (in the case of iPhone 4) for Verizon vs ATT;
AT&T is GSM and Verizon is CDMA.
GSM can run apps in parallel & CDMA can not (as yet at least).

On the absence of the BB Bold 9900. I hear you, while at the same time I have to say it's disappointing that RIM has been shipping rehashes of essentially the same phone over the last year with a somewhat nicer OS but still with a lacking browser and sluggish performance.

Julio said:
On the absence of the BB Bold 9900. I hear you, while at the same time I have to say it's disappointing that RIM has been shipping rehashes of essentially the same phone over the last year with a somewhat nicer OS but still with a lacking browser and sluggish performance.

I'm disappointed because RIM is holding up the Kitchener area economy. They need to get back in the god damn game!

Back