Television overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

Well, that second hand tv i purchased seems to have been a bad purchase. It works 100% for about 3-4 hours, then suddenly it will turn off, kind of flicker, and the standby and on lights are flickering also. Now it wont turn on anymore, the light doesnt even go on. I think I might be overheating but I'm not sure. The TV is a NEC parabola 64cm CRT.

Thanks for any help

Korrupt

if it was bought from a shop, take it back, as most second hand electrical items are under some sort of warranty, if bought from a reputable dealer . at least it is here in the UK.

the switching itself off may be caused by a dry solder joint. but there are many other alternatives too.
hope you get it sorted

Thanks, I cant take it back, its an old tv and worth less than $100AUD... How would I check for a dry solder joint?

Since you are asking the question, you don't.

Maybe take the thing to a repair shop and let them take a look at it? It could be sth as simple as a $1 dead capacitor.

looking for dry solder joints, means removing circuit boards. dry solder joints tend to look dull, a little like aluminium, and not reasonably shiny as the other joints. but then again, as it only cost $100, it will probably cost a minimum of $40 to be repaired (guess), and it was only a suggestion of the dry joint. you need to ask yourself is it worth that effort. as nodsu make the point that it may be a $1 component, but what is the charge for labour?

yes the fuse could be fractured and still be making contact. (edited)

I checked the fuse, and it works fine. I also resoldered one spot which had come loose. I tried it again, but still no luck. When I first push the on button, it makes a clicking noise within the electronics, but all subsequent pushes are not doing anything... No lights come on either, I'm asuming it has something to do with the power, as everything else worked fine... I also found a lot of solder spots that had a rust like "powder" around them, which could be scratched off. Could this be causing problems?

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back