TechSpot

Temperature Monitoring Recommendation Please

By dforrest
Jun 14, 2005
  1. I have a Dell XPS system which I find out after purchasing it, has no temperature sensors installed.

I am looking to add temperature sensors to it for at least the processor and video card, and possibly fan control. If possible, I would prefer these to me monitored and controlled by software and not a separate unit in a drive bay.

Is such a setup available and, if so, can someone please advise me on this? This would have to be a relatively easy installation!

2. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

The sensors are fitted to the motherboard by the manufacturer. It s just a case of reading them. I don't know about Dell.
    You can try either:
    Motherboard Monitor
    or
    Everest Home

3. dforrest

dforrest TS Rookie Topic Starter

This is a Dell manufactured motherboard and, as far as I can understand, no sensors are attached.

4. IronDuke

Can't say that that surprises me. Hopefully somebody else will have some suggetsions for you.

5. RamenNoodles

RamenNoodles TS Rookie Posts: 108

I have never seen a dell with them installed. I do know that the HDs that are with most dells do have sensors in them. As far as adding them on, i have never seen them on the market. Maybe someone else has.

6. tdeg

tdeg TS Rookie Posts: 348

7. IronDuke

A really dumb idea - but it'll do the job. :)
    Except for the crucial CPU.

8. tdeg

If there is no sensor built onto the motherboard to monitor the CPU temperature, I don't see how an aftermark will be able to.

The only way I can see an aftermarket do that is to integrate it with the heatsink. At that point, what is the difference between that and sticking the outdoor part of the thermometer to your heatsink?

(coolness factor not included).

9. IronDuke

I agree with this. I was pointing out the CPU wasn't monitored, but not expecting a solution.

10. tdeg

Gotcha.

Yea... Dell are cheap systems and guess what? You get what you pay for!!

11. dforrest

dforrest TS Rookie Topic Starter

Unfortunately after purchasing my new system which was to be "top of the line" I agree with you. I am very disappointed. No temperature monitoring/fan control, no advanced BIOS setup, a NIS CD which is a pre-release version and will not LiveUpdate ...........

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.