Temporary Internet files, safe to delete all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

Yes, yes, I know! I've raised this before, [mutters from some members, "not again "]
The reason I have raised this again, I went to Wanadoo Support, with a query about connections, [the support at Wanadoo is brilliant, response from them is almost intantaneous] & one of the things they said to do, was to delete all temporary internet files, & I've got loads, by deleting all, will I be getting rid of essential files linked to the smooth running of my computer?

Maurice

Thanks, Luvr, the others know how I "dither",, your answer is short, precise, & to the point, great!
BTW, welcome to Techspot, a little late, but......!

Maurice
bye.gif

Basically the only thing the Temporary Internet Files will do is make your web pages load quicker. By deleting them you will just have to re-download some essentials, which is no big deal at all, as luvr stated :)

Thanks poertner, just humor me a little more please, what would you call "essentials"?, I guess you don't mean music or such, I don't do that anyway, practically my whole activity is centred on e-mailing & surfing, plus some items d/loaded to My Pictures, would these all disappear?, anything else?

Maurice

You won't lose any special things you have downloaded. Just things that go along with the webpage. Sometimes when you go to a site, it will look to see if you have already downloaded a banner, or some static advertisements, so you don't have to download them again. This is very helpful when on a dialup conneciton, you don't have to take the time to DL things again and again, it's already there. So nothing to worry about your music and such, and if you delete your Temproary Internet Files, and you need something when you go to that site again, it will just download it again :)

Much obliged, poertner, that's very clear, you have the patience of a saint
thumbs.gif
another member got fed-up with telling me to do things, then got annoyed when I dithered about carrying out his "instructions", & now refuses to answer my postings, & he's not a young guy, losing patience with a "wrinkly", he's nearly one himself, and he's from Britain, which makes it worse, he made his comments known in a PM to me. what are some people like??

Thanks again,
Maurice

Maurice said:
......... another member got fed-up with telling me to do things, then got annoyed when I dithered about carrying out his "instructions", & now refuses to answer my postings, & he's not a young guy, losing patience with a "wrinkly", he's nearly one himself, and he's from Britain, which makes it worse, he made his comments known in a PM to me. what are some people like??
You described me to a tee, except I'm a hillbilly from Arkansas, I ain't from Britain. I would have given the same answer they gave you here, and you wouldn't have done it. I asked you to keep this in private, in PM"s and you promised you would, no need to bring it here. Move on please, I have until this.

I've been there, & done that, poertner, cheers!!, the deleting took several minutes, there were masses of them, the only way I knew that the deletions were complete was when the HD activity indicator light stopped, is this normal?, I thought I would get a notice saying something like "Deletions completed"

Maurice
gentleman.gif

You will just notice your computer running normal again. When it is deleting it is taking a bit of your processor and things might seem slow. No worries.

I guessed that was it, just a bit of doubt crept in!, thanks for clearing that up, I'll delete them regularly from now on.

Maurice
super.gif

If you're using I.E., you can also have I.E. delete other temp internet files that you might not necessarily know about. Tools, then right there on that first tab, have it Delete Files & make sure you select "delete all offline content".

Thanks Hedda, I'll look into that.
Haven't "spoken" to you before, how are you liking Techspot, great site isn't iit?, I've had masses of help in the two years I've been here, as you can see by my profile, [click on my name to get the drop down] that I'm not young anymore, so perhaps I need a little more help than you young un's.

Nice to meet you,
Maurice

I do like TechSpot -- lots of good help available here! I sometimes browse and just pick up good tips.

Nice to "meet" you too! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back