TechSpot

Tesla adds titanium shield to undercarriage of Model S to prevent battery fires

By Shawn Knight
Mar 28, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Friday announced the addition of a titanium shield and multiple aluminum deflectors to the undercarriage of their Model S to help cut down on the risk of battery fires caused by running over objects on...

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

Ah cool atlest tesla are combatting the issue before it actually becomes an issue if it ever was an issue...

3. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,457   +606

Meh. Its' a cool car but there ain't nothing like the sound of a V8. I sold my last late 90's Z28 but I will have a 13/14 6-speed Mustang GT Premium soon enough.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Good to see Tesla responding well to these issues.

Definitely. Too bad emission standards are killing off the nice engines :D.

5. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 658   +174

I bet in the near future there will be a market for V8 emulator sounds for electric cars haha.

6. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

I'm pretty sure the people who bought the car and saw them catch fire thought it was an issue. That said, I wonder how much additional cost the titanium plate is going to add to the car.

7. What happens if the object in the road is hard enough to do the same to the metal and then leave a constant contact with whatever caused the fire?

This sounds more like putting the blame on other things than the car itself.
    A fire happened to one of their cars in Toronto while the car was in the garage and not even been charged and they still don't know what caused that fire.

This was one of the fixes, "apply a software update on Model S cars to increase the ground clearance of the Model S when driving at highway speed" now as most people know that the lower the centre of gravity the better for stability.
    I know this wont make the car so unstable(or even more unstable) that people will crash but it makes me wonder why the Europeans have their cars lower their suspension at highway speeds,it's not like the Tesla was racing car low.

8. TrueBooleanFals

TrueBooleanFals TS Member Posts: 76   +12

Been around for a while: