Tesla delivered nearly one million EVs in 2021

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Tesla again managed to set a new record for vehicle production and deliveries in a single quarter despite the ongoing pandemic and resulting component shortages. The automaker came dangerously close to delivering one million vehicles for the full year but narrowly missed the mark. Will 2022 by the year Tesla finally achieves the milestone?

Tesla in the fourth quarter of 2021 produced 13,109 Model S and Model X vehicles as well as 292,731 Model 3 and Model Y variants for a combined 305,840 vehicles. That represents an increase of 28.6 percent compared to the 237,823 EVs that rolled off the assembly line in the third quarter.

Deliveries in Q4 totaled 308,600 units, of which 296,850 were either Model 3 or Model Y variants. The remaining 11,750 consisted of Model S or Model X EVs.

For the full year, Tesla produced 930,422 vehicles and delivered 936,172 cars and SUVs. A vehicle is only marked as delivered when it is transferred to its owner and all paperwork is correct.

Share value in Tesla is up more than nine percent on the day. As of writing, a single share is trading hands for $1,153.30.

Tesla made big moves in 2021 and is poised to continue that trend this year. In October, the company said it was moving its headquarters from California to Austin, Texas. The EV maker’s pickup truck, the Cybertruck, is expected to enter production by the end of the year and will pave the way for the second-gen Roadster sometime in 2023.

Permalink to story.

My comment on last year's news that >1M deliveries a year is unavoidable will obviously come to pass this upcoming year, but some people are predicting as high as 2M vehicles for a more than doubling of this upcoming year's production. The reasons include additional expansions at the Shanghai factory (adding 200k annual capacity in the next 3 months), S/X production + further refinement of the Fremont factory (producing around 100k additional vehicles over the next year), and new factories of Austin and Berlin opening very soon. It may seem like Austin and Berlin will take time to ramp up, but don't forget that all the vehicles they're producing for now will be from pre-existing programs that have been deployed at two other factories so far (and very quickly at China).

My personal expectation is 1.7M vehicles, but I'm not great at choosing prediction numbers. I also expect the prices for Teslas to drop back down in the second half of this year, but that may not happen if demand grows as crazy as Tesla's production is growing. Anyways, here's the updated chart on Tesla's annual deliveries:

Vehicles-Delivered-annual-false.png

Last edited:
Congratulations to tesla on capturing 1.1% of the market. Of course if sales had not been impacted by shortages they would have only hit 1%.

That's roughly in line with overall EV sales on the market, roughly 1-1.5%.

One million cars? Well Tesla is valued at 1 Trillion so even being extremely generous and saying they sell each car at 1,000,000 and have 100% revenue margin meaning they basically produce them out of thin air instantly, it would still take about 1 million years for Tesla to sell enough cars to reach their estimated market value.

Does that makes any sense to well, anyone?

Last edited:
When you say "one million deliveries", does that count the bumpers and windshields or not cause many of them lost those parts.

One million cars? Well Tesla is valued at 1 Trillion so even being extremely generous and saying they sell each car at 1,000,000 and have 100% revenue margin meaning they basically produce them out of thin air intantly, it would still take about 1 million years for Tesla to sell enough cars to reach their estimated market value.

Does that makes any sense to well, anyone?
By your math, they're making $1 of profit on each vehicle... As of last quarter, they were making about $6.7k net income/vehicle. Also there's a commonly used metric to denote what you're trying to describe, and it's called the P/E ratio. Tesla's P/E ratio currently is 380, meaning if they changed nothing about their business, they would make that money in 380 years.

Amazing yet they still have 2 more factories ready to start production this year. Massive factories. They have become N1 in sales in many EU countries while all the cars are imported here and on top of that we hate American cars for their quality and import overhead in expense. Soon the factory here will start working (it already makes test cars at the time of writing) and will cause massive disruption.

Amazing yet they still have 2 more factories ready to start production this year. Massive factories. They have become N1 in sales in many EU countries while all the cars are imported here and on top of that we hate American cars for their quality and import overhead in expense. Soon the factory here will start working (it already makes test cars at the time of writing) and will cause massive disruption.
When other manufacturers ramp up EV production, my bet is Tesla sales will drop. There is, apparently, a big demand for EVs and it is highly likely that Tesla is, for now, doing well because they have little competition.

As I see it, it is also likely that quality will improve with EVs since there is far less to fail in EVs compared to IC vehicles.

When you say "one million deliveries", does that count the bumpers and windshields or not cause many of them lost those parts.

From everything I read, they still have quality control issues. Get those fixed and it should be better. Hey, it's still to me a "startup" in a way. Most vehicle manufacturers have been in business for over 100 years making ICE vehicles.

When other manufacturers ramp up EV production, my bet is Tesla sales will drop. There is, apparently, a big demand for EVs and it is highly likely that Tesla is, for now, doing well because they have little competition.

As I see it, it is also likely that quality will improve with EVs since there is far less to fail in EVs compared to IC vehicles.
Sure, every year we have the casual prediction that the competition is coming.
(
)
But we know legacy car makers will never make good EVs because this will collapse their gas sales.
On top of that their EVs are being marked up by their own dealers $45 000 to $75 000 with friendly e-mails to reservation holders. (
)

So if you want to get ripped off, have no OTA updates, low end battery (every ICE owner horror) and no autopilot capabilities go ahead and buy the competition...

Back