TechSpot

Text messaging declines for the first time ever in the US

By Shawn Knight
Nov 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Text messaging is on the decline for the first time ever in the US according to a new report from consulting firm Chetan Sharma. They found a drop in the total number of messages being sent and received in addition...

Read more

2. Sms is 100% (almost) free to the carriers, it was all gravy money anyways, but I am sure they classify it as "needed" income so I wonder how they think they will make up the difference. I would HATE to be a traditional Cellular carrier, its all down hill with the growing use of data services. Maybe their costs have come down enough to level out their "loses".

Littleczr and KbloodyK like this.
  3. KbloodyK

KbloodyK TS Member Posts: 24

It might be due to more people having 3g and 4g on their phones and media devices and instead of texting they can now use instant messengers in social media for an even better communication experience. being able to chat with friends and read about how Monica is totes dumping Derek, OMG! at the same time is most defiantly a plus.

4. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +126 Staff Member

As a Guest wrote to our earlier story titled "Carriers lost $13.9 billion in SMS revenue during 2011" on this:
    This is the best comment I have ever read online I think!

5. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,675   +59

People are getting smart and using free text apps instead of paying an extra 15$ a month, sure you have to have 2 numbers but its really saves a lot of money in the long run.

Oh yeah what KB said too, fb is practically a free text service nowadays. When I get a fb message I get a sound and notification on my phone just like when I get a text.

KbloodyK likes this.
  6. Ssendi

Ssendi TS Rookie Posts: 18

We have whatapp and viber!!! Traditional sms should also be for free!!! Telecom firms have to think more!!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.