The Benefits of Age

Uncle Al

To: The Authors

Friends,

As age continues to chase me across the universe I have firmly grasp and promote the concept that "It is the duty of the old to teach the young". Not a caim out of personal vanity, I simply see it every day. There is so much misinformation out there these days that is being taken gratis, without question that it takes a dedicated effort to spread the truth. Over the past few years of watching this site I have seen some truly exceptional articles contributed and while some might be a bit dry, the information they offer is simply priceless. For this reason I am making a suggestion, in fact a plea, to set up a "Computer History" section to which we can vote or recommend certain articles be added to.

I say this because I can still remember my first PC as well as even earlier days of using the TTY in my fathers work to access the old University of Louisville mainframe to play "star trek". At that time it was simply magical to talk to a computer and get an answer as well as play some really great games. I only wish that today's kids would start out with that very simple experience so they could appreciate how great these systems are today as I try to find a vision of what the future will be.

At least, with such a section, the information & history will live on beyond us so that the next curious person that take such an interest will have a first class repository of factual information to draw from. It is our duty to educate these folks any way we can, and with the quality of information posted on this site I think it could be a very good start.

Uncle Al

It is our duty to educate these folks any way we can, and with the quality of information posted on this site
Love and endorse that concept. IMO, the site has gravitated massively into hobby computer building and gaming. I try to pour security and networking into the mix, but refuse to "go softly into that good night" of Win/10

The game was 'Satan' for me. You worked hard at lower levels to make a strong enough char (remember 'char') so you could get into the bottom level, only available by teleport and the walls changed occasionally. Teleporting into a wall because you typed in the wrong coordinate made you 'perm dead'. The shortcut win and failure to implement it properly making you 'perm dead' after all the work concept has resonated across U.S. and world culture permeating all aspects of both daily living, privacy, and public and political policy. It's there when you look at how regular people look at things, and especially, how gamers, especially the younger ones look at reality.

Everything becomes 'perm dead' over time. Only history and researchers eulogize what is lost generally, long after it occurs. I strongly agree with this 'history' section idea. Many articles here were real portents of what was to come and those writers should be remembered for seeing clearly in this huge dungeon of technochaos and pointing their lights.

Back