The Best Gaming Monitors 2019

Julio Franco

Staff member
Pretty much every monitor that passes DisplayHDR 400 certification doesn’t actually deliver a meaningfully improved HDR experience, and therefore isn’t worth buying as an HDR display. And it’s not much better at DisplayHDR 600, while only a small selection of DisplayHDR 1000 monitors pass all the required items in the checklist.
In my experience, DELL U3219Q with its HDR400 does a great job.

The size in your monitor should be based on the distance from your face. Don't feel pressured to go into a screen too big for how close it is to your face. that will mess up your gaming experience if you're suddenly forced to use parts further into your peripheral that you're not accustomed to using.

The size in your monitor should be based on the distance from your face. Don't feel pressured to go into a screen too big for how close it is to your face. that will mess up your gaming experience if you're suddenly forced to use parts further into your peripheral that you're not accustomed to using.

Well said, apparently the misinformation these days is that bigger always better. Not just with monitors but with TV, I've seen few cases with people with small condo (less than 600 sq) and having a 65-70" TV which is way too big for sitting only couple feet away....similar situation with monitors ....I think once you go beyond 27" , you need to ensure your desk is deep enough that you have some distance away but that's just me :D

Well said, apparently the misinformation these days is that bigger always better. Not just with monitors but with TV, I've seen few cases with people with small condo (less than 600 sq) and having a 65-70" TV which is way too big for sitting only couple feet away....similar situation with monitors ....I think once you go beyond 27" , you need to ensure your desk is deep enough that you have some distance away but that's just me :D

Even scaling down to a 25 or 24 inch monitor, if your desk is shallow, the monitor is huge, a lot of smaller desks would be suited to a 21 or a 22

The Amazon link for the LG 32GK650F takes you to a LG 32GK650F-B which is priced at $495. Probably a good price but not the exciting price of $350 listed. So is there one at $350 or not?

The Amazon link for the LG 32GK650F takes you to a LG 32GK650F-B which is priced at $495. Probably a good price but not the exciting price of $350 listed. So is there one at $350 or not?

Not sure why Amazon jacked the price back up but I just got it at Microcenter for $299!!! AMAZING MONITOR!

That's a good monitor but it's $100 more expensive that the Viotek and at that price, it's competing against decent 1440p models. Note that the article does point out that a curved VA panel isn't for everyone, which is why there two further recommendations.

I'm confused....

G-Sync - Nvidia's vertical sync technology, adds cost to the monitor and requires an Nvidia card.
FreeSync - AMD's vertical sync technology, monitor doesn't cost more and requires an AMD card, but CAN work with Nvidia with certain drivers and cards right?
Adaptive Sync - works for either? Monitor technology that doesn't require a specific card?

Can someone straighten these out briefly?

Can someone straighten these out briefly?

Short explanation:
* The VESA Adaptive Sync standard is supposed to make variable refresh rate (VRR) support the same across all GPUs.

* FreeSync is AMD's implementation of the open standard and everyone can use it.

* G-Sync was Nvidia's proprietary implementation of variable refresh rate that required a hardware module (making monitors more expensive), but since last year newer GeForce GPUs also support the VESA standard, which for practical purposes means GeForce cards can do VRR on FreeSync monitors.

* G-Sync now has different "tiers" depending on the quality of the monitor. As explained in the article below, not all monitors are great at VRR just for "supporting" FreeSync. There are a few factors at play like refresh rate range, variable overdrive, response times, input lag, and so on.

Longer explanation:

Monitor picks:

Are you guys ever going to review the Alienware monitors with 240hz? Seems like a lot of streamers that play competitive games have that monitor. Would be interesting to see your test results.

Back