The Best Gaming Monitors 2020

I don't see mention of G-Sync in this article. Given the 3080 target, which level of G-Sync do each of these monitors support (Ultimate/G-Sync/Compatible?) Or is there no mention because of a belief there is no longer any material difference between them and/or FreeSync?

LG 27GL850 has a few variants. The other is the LG 27GL83A-B which is the same, but minus the rear USB ports.

The 2020 GN is definitely the one you want though if you can get one. The panel is basically the same as the GL but it has slightly better contrast. Considering that was the main weakness of the older models the GN is a better option if you can find one.

I don't see mention of G-Sync in this article. Given the 3080 target, which level of G-Sync do each of these monitors support (Ultimate/G-Sync/Compatible?) Or is there no mention because of a belief there is no longer any material difference between them and/or FreeSync?

I can say the LG CX is "Gsync Compatible" [almost certainly HDMI Forum VRR under the hood] and recently added Freesync support as well, so it's agnostic to GPU vendor. Can't speak to any of the others.

I'll be upgrading to the CX (currently have a C6) once NVIDIA works out it's GPU shortages...

When your "value" 1440p display still costs $500. We could cut that price in half if the gamer is willing to drop from IPS to VA.
yeah, 500USD is not really a value deal in my book. I might not be as wealthy as most of us here on TechSpot, but I would have thought it would be around the 250-300 level instead of 500.
From the intro:

As a side note, you will find some of these top picks to offer good value, but if you're playing games and want great value and decent performance, you can also check out our Best Budget Gaming Monitors guide.

I just picked up one of those super inexpensive Gigabyte G34WQC ultrawide VA monitors for my driving rig last week and I've got to say I'm super impressed for the price. I think Tim might be reviewing it now (maybe? someone hinted at it I think) so I'm eager to see what you say about it. Seeing how little I paid for it my wife now wants me to add two more to our driving rig for better immersion and at this price it won't hurt much to do so.

I want to know what monitor the guy in the header is using, because it sure as heck isn't any of the 16:9 (or 21:9) monitors listed in this review.

It's quite tall. Looking almost like 16:10.

I'm using a 2K 16:10 monitor. I refuse to step down to an x:9 monitor. So when I saw that screen shot, I was immediately curious.

Big surprise it's not one of the monitors listed.

I want to know what monitor the guy in the header is using, because it sure as heck isn't any of the 16:9 (or 21:9) monitors listed in this review.
Fairly certain it's this:

Edit: Ah, yes - it is.

Monitor makers don't care about YOUR specific dGPU. They are all about standards... and AMD's FreeSync Premium Pro is pretty much the Industry standard.... seeing that is what BOTH next-gen Consoles will be using.

Next-Gen Consoles are not meant for just TV's, they will use essentially any monitor now too...

Monitor makers care about whatever will sell monitors of course. In past years that certainly included some models that included G-sync hardware modules, which offered some actual VRR benefit and/or some marketing benefit.

What I'm looking to better understand now, and which this article failed to address, is 1) is anyone (including Nvidia) asserting that the G-sync hardware module still adds benefit over base open standard VRR with Ampere and current/upcoming monitors; 2) has any testing confirmed that to be the case; and 3) if so, which monitors include it.

If it is true that the VESA standard has completely caught up and Nvidia and monitor manufacturers have all given up on the G-sync proprietary stuff, that could be great news, I just missed the memo where that was laid out (seems like it would be worth an article or at least a sentence in this one!)

Monitor makers care about whatever will sell monitors of course. In past years that certainly included some models that included G-sync hardware modules, which offered some actual VRR benefit and/or some marketing benefit.

What I'm looking to better understand now, and which this article failed to address, is 1) is anyone (including Nvidia) asserting that the G-sync hardware module still adds benefit over base open standard VRR with Ampere and current/upcoming monitors; 2) has any testing confirmed that to be the case; and 3) if so, which monitors include it.

If it is true that the VESA standard has completely caught up and Nvidia and monitor manufacturers have all given up on the G-sync proprietary stuff, that could be great news, I just missed the memo where that was laid out (seems like it would be worth an article or at least a sentence in this one!)

yes, here: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/freesync-hdr-games

Manufacturers are about to release their high-bandwidth dp1.4/hdmi 2.1 Monitors soon. I suspect, they worked out a deal with AMD to release these new gaming monitors, alongside Navi2's release... since (again) they both feature FreeSync Premium Pro, etc..

38" 4k @ 144hz OLED <--- plz. ($2k)

Hahaha imagine spending $700 on a 24 inch 1080p monitor in 2020. You can yell "higher refresh rate" all day long, but it's not worth it, even if you're into competitive gaming. Save the money and get better at the games instead.

When your "value" 1440p display still costs $500. We could cut that price in half if the gamer is willing to drop from IPS to VA.

It's less about the best value and more about the best commission the site gets if you buy it after clicking on one of their links.

It looks to me that 27-inch monitors once the "go-to-panels" for gaming are essentially out! The new deal being 32-inch panels or even more real estate and especially with the now fully capable 3000 series GPU's having hit the market. I also think that for much increased immersion (and marketing-sales) that game developers will be pushing or designing games for bigger and better monitors. From my observation going from a 27" to a 32" display in gaming is a huge WOW difference and fully worth it. New Benchmarking: Alienware 38" Monitor AW3821DW with 3840x1600 at 144Hz G-SYNC ULTIMATE and Display HDR. I never owned a Dell Alienware monitor (not being able to afford it) but these kind of specifications (not the brand in particular) looks like a future proofing purchase. Reality Bites: For now however I am back in my 'basement command center' sporting my trusty Walmart Samsung 24" monitor playing Bulletstorm. Perhaps one day my ship will come in? But for today Mom upstairs is baking a 'Cherry Pie' and that is all today that counts for me.

Last edited:
Back