The Bugatti Chiron becomes the first hypercar to break the 300 mph barrier in a mind-bending...

Humza

Staff member
Bottom line: Hypercar manufacturers should take note: 300mph is the next big speed milestone to hit. A feat that's certainly impossible on humdrum traffic congested real-world roads, but achievable on a strip long enough to realize the potential of these beasts, like Bugatti did recently, with its modified Chiron in Germany.

Exclusively revealed by TopGear, the Bugatti Chiron just over a month ago crossed 300 mph with Le Mans-winning Andy Wallace at the wheel, who's also the company's official test driver.

Given that the standard Chiron makes an outrageous 1,479 bhp and 1,180 lb-ft of torque from its internal combustion engine, tearing through the wind at really high speeds is still a daunting task as any. It's not only power but advanced aerodynamics, traction and other trickery that enable hypercars to leapfrog each other above 250 mph.

"It's like driving through a fruit cake," commented James May on the air resistance/drag which the Veyron had to overcome in his 252 mph speed run on an episode of "old" TopGear. That happened quite a while back on the same track that recently enabled its successor, the Chiron, to make it above 300 mph.

The Ehra-Lessien test track's 9 km (~5.6 mi) straight could only provide Bugatti with a limited time to max out the Chiron, so it's engineers spent the past six months, along with a team from Michelin and Dallara, honing the car even further. They added around 100 more bhp to the "Thor" 8.0 litre W16 engine, increased the car's length by 25 cm and stuck it ever so closer to the road.

At the rear, the exhaust system was tweaked to reduce drag by stacking a pair of shotgun tail pipes. These are said to emit exhaust further away from the car's rear to help with high speed stability. For added downforce, a static unit replaced the car's rear active air brake. Also, one can only imagine what those Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires went through as they took the heavyweight Chiron upwards of 300 mph.

Speaking of weight, the modified Chiron went on a diet to shave off the bulk that comes with the standard 1,996kg (~2.2 ton) model. The interior saw the passenger seat removed, installation of a roll cage along with several weight-saving measures that may or may not catch the eye.

Germany's Technical Inspection Association (TÜV) verified the 304.77 mph speed run that now puts this Chiron way ahead of Hennessey Venom's 270.49 mph as well as the vmax of Koenigsegg's 284.55 mph Agera RS.

It remains to be seen whether Bugatti's rivals can come up a competitive hypercar, especially using internal combustion engines, as the hypercar future, much like the rest of the car industry, looks more electric than ever. Maybe breaking the mythical 300 mph barrier could be the peak for ICE?

For now though, the 304.77 mph (~490 kmh) Bugatti Chiron has redefined speed (and adrenaline) for the petrol head's hypercar.

Permalink to story.

Removing the wing mirrors would probably off added a few more mph. It would be interesting to know what the mpg is like at that speed. Call me odd but I think I'd still prefer a Tesla Roadster.

I bet the 2020 Tesla Roadster would blow the doors off of any production Bugatti Chiron .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izhYXO9wKz0
As far as I know, electric cars are phenomenal at 0-60mph but tend to be weaker at higher acceleration. Regardless, our road users just aren't ready for cars that can hit 60mph in 1 second. I strongly believe that electric cars need to be regulated while on public roads, including limiting their acceleration performance and forcing them to make noise. But that's a discussion for another topic.

As far as I know, electric cars are phenomenal at 0-60mph but tend to be weaker at higher acceleration. Regardless, our road users just aren't ready for cars that can hit 60mph in 1 second. I strongly believe that electric cars need to be regulated while on public roads, including limiting their acceleration performance and forcing them to make noise. But that's a discussion for another topic.
Right, we need more noise pollution like we need a hole in the head. Watch the ***** making noise with the hot ICE Mustang getting his doors blown off in a 1/4 mile by a larger and heavier Tesla S 126mph in 10.5 seconds.

Right, we need more noise pollution like we need a hole in the head. Watch the ***** making noise with the hot ICE Mustang getting his doors blown off in a 1/4 mile by a larger and heavier Tesla S 126mph in 10.5 seconds.

Um, you completely missed the entire point of what he said.. about both topics lol.

We all get that you love the concept of a Tesla "Blowing the Doors off" cars in 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag races. Here's the thing... you're dead wrong, and there's a Wikipedia page that keeps tabs to prove it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_cars_by_acceleration

Chiron - 1/4 mile - 9.99 sec (a 2016 model, the newer ones would be quicker)
Tesla P100D w/ Ludicrous Mode - 1/4 Mile - 10.54 seconds

SORRY.

It is a legit safety concern. A lot of Tesla or other electric cars sneak up behind people in a parking lot. They aren't going to add crazy v8, v10 revving noises, if that was what you were thinking

Uh...it's a feat...but who's going to drive at that speed with the traffic?

Besides safety concerns and noise, at that speed, the fuel efficiency will be very wasteful.

Humans have so much free time nowadays for trivial pursuits.

Besides safety concerns and noise, at that speed, the fuel efficiency will be very wasteful.

Under that logic, all sports cars should have a 4 cylinder and be limited to 80 MPH.

Koenigsegg and Hennessey are oddly quiet.

Thing is...even if they do cobble together another unsightly monstrosity able to reach 300 MPH, they simply don't have the engineering techniques or the company strength behind them to make anything but a very limited production without the level of coherence, consistency, warranty or safety Bugatti is selling.

The Tires on that car are engineered ...not some aftermarket swaps.

The Engine on that car is engineered... not some back yard tune.

That car is aerospace grade material and engineering on a level even the Concorde wasn't.

This is a great time to be alive.

I just need $1 Billion so I can hand some to Bugatti.

It's an engineering feat, advancing automotive technology further than we have before. You can't find anything neat to say about this?

And you ask rhetorical questions, but I'm concerned they aren't actually rhetorical to you. So....No one will be driving 300mph on the street in this HYPERcar that was solely built to set a world record.

"Fuel efficiency" and "1479hp 8.0L W16 engine" are not to be mentioned in the same conversation, so go ahead and drop that thought.

It's an engineering feat, advancing automotive technology further than we have before. You can't find anything neat to say about this?

And you ask rhetorical questions, but I'm concerned they aren't actually rhetorical to you. So....No one will be driving 300mph on the street in this HYPERcar that was solely built to set a world record.

"Fuel efficiency" and "1479hp 8.0L W16 engine" are not to be mentioned in the same conversation, so go ahead and drop that thought.

Set the world record....for what? After getting that record and then what?

Back