The comp doesn't turn off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there! I've a problem with my computer. After I'd updated the BIOS (my mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-S3) the machine stopped turning off. I mean, the fans still worked, the monitor stopped responding, the led on chassis was on. But someone helped me on IRC - told me what to change in the settings and it worked. Unfortunately after I'd updated the BIOS again I deleted the backup and it doesn't work. In Gigabyte they said to flash the BIOS to the new beta, and when it didn't help - to change the mobo in the shop. Can someone please help me?

Well U r a very lucky person. 9 of 10 posts in this forum are about computers that won´t turn on. So if U can´t turn ur´s off is no such a big problem ;)

Try the following:

Do a clear CMOS of ur motherboard, turn the computer on and choose the default settings to the CMOS. Try to turn off. If U don´t succeed then check the Avanced Power Management Settings in ur BIOS they have to be enabled in order to allow the computer turn off.

As a last resort U always can turn back to the last kown working version of the BIOS, U can download it from the manufacturer web site or from any of the BIOS dedicated web sites.

IF after all U still can´t turn off ur computer use the button in the front panel to do that:)

I have a strange thing in one of my computers, I have two HDD one with windows XP and the other with Windows ME. When I work in ME the computer turns off normally, when in XP I have to turn it Off using the front panel button. I´d never worry about that but seem to be a compatibility problem between Windows XP and my motherboard APM.

It's also possible that the hard drive is causing this... By any chance is it a Western Digital 80GB IDE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back