TechSpot

The Cornerplay: Twitter's evolution, and why Instagram is better

1. When people think about ranking social networks, it's usually Facebook #1 and Twitter #2. Well, there's a new #2 in town and that's Instagram. With 300 million monthly active users it recently supplanted and surpassed Twitter's 284 million active user base.

Read more

2. I think you're still missing what I see as a primary and critical aspect of Twitter, its role as a real-time news feed for breaking events and emergency notifications. Also, its easy integration to SMS is critical.

To say Twitter is better than Instagram is like saying oranges are better than pork; of course you may like one or the other, and depending on nutritional needs one may be more appropriate. But just as these are different types of foods for different tastes and with different purposes, Twitter and Instagram are different services, aside from being in the general category of messaging applications. Your article implies, even borders on stating, one would pick among these for identical purposes, which is simply not accurate.

Edito likes this.
  3. I don't have a twitter account but I know exactly what Twitter's real purpose is just from watching the news everyday. It's basically a platform, for celebrities, to take huge dumps, on other celebrities.

4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,550   +852

Is there a way we can filter these opinion articles out of the news feed? especially these cornerplay ones.

You think images say more than words. But most of the time the pictures dont say the right ones. especially if I want updates from people.
    They really are different things. Comparing apples and oranges.

5. I classify news as an interest, and Twitter is absolutely a great way to get news updates from those you trust to provide that.

While Twitter and Instagram are direct competitors, I agree (and even wrote) that they do different things better.

It's just that the things Instagram does better in are more universal, that's why more people use Instagram. That's the thesis of the article.

6. Ouch! :)