The Cornerplay: Windows' business model is changing, from monopoly to minority

Jeffrey Yuwono

In a recent conference keynote, Microsoft COO Kevin Turner said the following:

We’ve got to monetize [Windows] differently. And there are services involved. There are additional opportunities for us to bring additional services to the product and do it in a creative way. And through the course of the summer and spring we’ll be announcing what that business model looks like. At the same time it’s wonderful to see these nine-inch and below devices explode, because that was an area, candidly, I was blocked out and I had no share of what was getting built. So it’s a very fascinating transition for us. And finding new ways to monetize the lifetime of that customer on those devices, again, I would tell you we’re learning, we’re growing, and we’re smarter and wiser every day.

The key language here is "finding new ways to monetize the lifetime of that customer," which is another way of saying that they're shifting from a product-centric view to a customer-centric one. It doesn't have to be Windows sales per se that drives those dollars.

Many have interpreted this to mean the base Windows OS might be free, and that Microsoft will earn via yearly subscriptions or go freemium. While the Redmond company will likely continue to charge enterprises, businesses, and OEMs, Windows and all future updates could come absolutely free to consumers.

Although it may not look like it, Microsoft has actually been dealing with monetization questions for a long time. Back when Windows was a monopoly, it was difficult for Microsoft to add features to Windows without incurring anti-monopoly wrath. Security was one such example – the likes of Norton and McAfee lobbied hard behind the scenes to keep built-in security out of Windows.

Moreover, monetizing major new features was difficult. Raising the price of a monopoly product would get a lot of backlash, so Microsoft never did.

The strategy Microsoft adopted – and this was prior to the mass adoption of the Internet – was to sell premium SKUs. Remember the pricey Windows Vista Ultimate? Premium SKUs was Microsoft’s tactic of introducing and monetizing new features. It avoided anti-monopoly scrutiny because the base SKU still costed the same and didn't compete in new markets.

However, that approach had limited success. Most people get Windows when buying new computers and computer manufacturers didn’t choose SKUs on the basis of features but on marketing: basic Windows for basic laptops, premium Windows for premium laptops. Lastly, consumers knew little about SKU differences, and they probably didn't care too much anyway.

So the market signals that would reward Windows for developing new features didn’t work. It was far easier to simply sell the same old Windows licenses and call it a day. That’s why I believe Windows went into a stagnant period where it produced few – if any – lasting consumer-oriented innovations.

I’m optimistic that things will be different with Windows 10 for two key reasons: 1) Mass adoption of the Internet means it’s far easier for Microsoft to cross-sell and up-sell features. 2) There is now a succeed-or-die urgency to make this work.

This is undoubtedly a good thing: for consumers, for the industry, and even for Microsoft given present realities. It will put the focus back on creating good products and recruiting the best team possible to make them.

At long last, Microsoft has to compete to win our dollars.

Masthead image credit: Microsoft Monopoly by jubjub449

Permalink to story.

The idea of a free version to the personal computer user isn't new, in fact MIcroStation CAD software did a version of this long ago & it was extremely successful. In their case, for every work station software package you bought for your business, you got a free full sized install for your home PC. The intention, which went over exceedingly well, was that the user would take work home, spend more time learning and building skills, thus locking them into MicroStation because of their extensive knowledge.

Back in the early days of personal & business computing it was just plain "fun". I think the most successful business approach today would be to go back to that theory "we build and sell software and just happen to make money at it" rather than "We're here to make money and just happen to sell software".

"Windows and all future updates could come absolutely free to consumers."

LOL

This is M$ you're talking about. M$.

"Back when Windows was a monopoly..."...??

Last time I checked, Windows was still the only OS preinstalled on most desktop and laptop machines. Yes, the tablet universe has evolved into a rival for the desktop/laptop PC universe in some contexts, but that doesn't means MS still doesn't control their old area of dominance in the PC realm.

I'll believe that changes are coming when I see them, but I've witnessed over two decades of Microsoft behavior in a Windows context. They don't change their basic strategies because they don't have to.

Windows days are done. With so many issues crippling Win8, have switched over to Ubuntu on USB and have not felt need to switch over to Win. It is enough for day to day computing, unless you want to play specific games or Development using specific software.

Windows days are done. With so many issues crippling Win8, have switched over to Ubuntu on USB and have not felt need to switch over to Win. It is enough for day to day computing, unless you want to play specific games or Development using specific software.

...Or watch Netflix while you work.

I use and enjoy Linux Distributions (mainly Ubuntu and LXLE) that have crippling issues, not Windows 8. I'd be interested to know what those "issues" might be.

Personally, I think M$ is missing the point on two issues.

1. Their operating systems usually follow a big-hit then big piece of $hit release schedule which does not inspire anyone in their right mind to upgrade.

2. They have expectations that involve everyone upgrading with each release. That will never happen especially in the business world where costs go far beyond the sticker price of the upgrade as I see it.

When I read the part about upselling features it just made me think that if the parts I like don't make the 70-30 split then I'll have to pay extra for it. Microsoft has been selling to the lowest common denominator for long enough that I'm really not their core audience anymore. I guess we'll see how wise they've become when 10 has no real start menu and still looks like a tablet-only OS.

What crippling issues are you talking about? And no the UI is not a crippling issue. Windows 8.1 is what I am using on all my comps ATM and have not encountered any issues at all.

Problems are problems only if you are a person who likes to be the one who has control of his computer, not Microsoft and its cronies. Windows is a backwards computing platform that remains relevant only because it comes from the same country with the hardware manufacturer companies, because together they are able to enforce a cartel by refusing Open Source access to hardware. Once the world grows sick of this retardation and develops open hardware (or forces the bullshit-doer enterprises to compete on a level field) it's going to be game over for both MS and its bourgeiosie counterpart Apple.

What crippling issues are you talking about? And no the UI is not a crippling issue. Windows 8.1 is what I am using on all my comps ATM and have not encountered any issues at all.

Frankly, for the first time in my "computing life", which started with a Franklin Ace 1000 (which only used a keyboard though), the mouse and keyboard sometimes inexplicably go away with Win 8.1. I could be doing anything from being online to playing a game and have to pull out my (thankfully on rollers) HAFX large tower computer case and unplug and re-plug my mouse and sometimes the keyboard too. I don't think it's the Asus Rampage V motherboard but the Win 8.1 software interface to the USB ports, but I leave that to those more expert than I. Nevertheless, this is the first time I ever had this problem. It certainly didn't happen with Win 7 using a Sabertooth MB and AMD processor. Now I am using Intel i7 (5930) dictated hardware and am not sure what to think of this problem.

Surely the realise that they're going to lose a HUGE amount of their user base if they push a sub-based system. Most just won't upgrade.
I won't upgrade my Win 8.1 if they push sub-based system.

Sounds like a hardware issue to me, had similar issues with external hard drive which when I spent time testing turned out to be a dodgy connector.

Feel frustrated by the assumptions that if a user has a problem MS is always to blame, where if it is Andriod or Apple everyone gives them huge amounts of grace.......What IOS 8 bricked your phone, its ok you can just recover from backup and Apple will release an update to fix that issue.

Windows 8/8.1 and 10 look fantastic (if you can handle change) and I think the change to free version for home users is a big step in the right direction, MS are not dumb (maybe a bit late to the party sometimes) but there is a reason they have been around for such a long time.

Looks like a driver issue, have you got the latest BIOS/UEFI from ASUS, also on the ASUS website there should be drivers for the USB controller. I have the same mobo running 8.1 and used to have almost exactly the same problem, but now that I have updated everything, it's working fine

Looks like a driver issue, have you got the latest BIOS/UEFI from ASUS, also on the ASUS website there should be drivers for the USB controller. I have the same mobo running 8.1 and used to have almost exactly the same problem, but now that I have updated everything, it's working fine

My current experiment is to shut off the "sleep mode" thing and just let the computer run like I did with all my previous builds. I simply turn off my two monitors as I did in the past and walk away. Since today is the second day of this "test" we shall see (though so far so good!). Your suggestion to update the USB drivers sounds good to me! I did update the bios right after I built this box, which is only a month ago or so, so that should be current, but the USB drivers I will have to look into. Thanks for that... I would not have thought the USB drivers would change much, but I'll check them out. It is certainly related to USB in some way. At first I suspected it was Windows itself and the way it "polled" for sleep mode, but it could easily be as you say a mainboard driver issue too.

Lol Ubuntu and Linux are still small fry on desktops. Sad but true - Linux is still an epic fail in that market space. Tablet and phone is different - msft really dropped the ball there for Android and iOS.

My current experiment is to shut off the "sleep mode" thing and just let the computer run like I did with all my previous builds. I simply turn off my two monitors as I did in the past and walk away. Since today is the second day of this "test" we shall see (though so far so good!). Your suggestion to update the USB drivers sounds good to me! I did update the bios right after I built this box, which is only a month ago or so, so that should be current, but the USB drivers I will have to look into. Thanks for that... I would not have thought the USB drivers would change much, but I'll check them out. It is certainly related to USB in some way. At first I suspected it was Windows itself and the way it "polled" for sleep mode, but it could easily be as you say a mainboard driver issue too.

Ok... 4 days now and still going with no mouse or keyboard problems after shutting off the "sleep mode". I am now convinced that a timer in Windows shuts down the mouse and sometimes the keyboard if sleep mode is on even though you are still using the devices. So... if you are having similar problems just shut off the sleep mode and simply turn off your monitor/monitors and leave the computer running, or shut down the computer.

I did have the latest bios for the Rampage V Extreme Asus motherboard loaded already, and the "usb driver" offered in the updates for this board were only for and extra usb ports that you might plug into the motherboard pins that rely on the PCIE X4 bus (this is the same aftermarket chip set that handles Sata6 etc.(ASMedia) or other special devices reliant on the PCIE bus.), which the main USB 2.0 and 3.X ports do not.

Back